Neurology Community
45k Members

Sharp pain in head

For about a week off and on I will get these really sharp pains on the right side of my head. It seemed to let up for a few days and then just awhile ago I had the worse pain I had to hold my head and just stand still. I was in the process of putting groceries away. What could be causing this? I do have some degeneration in my neck. My neck is sore and kind of stiff but I do have fibromyalgia. So. But, never have I had this happen with such intensity. I didn't last but a few seconds. Should I see a doctor? Thanks
Hi there. Most people have headaches as part of their fibromyalgia symptoms. These are debilitating and need to be treated with medications like ergot alkaloids, sumatriptan, calcium channel blockers and beta blockers. Altering body positions episodically while reading can help relieve stress on the back of the neck and help reduce the headaches. Other types of fibromyalgia headaches include tension/ migraine headaches, temporo mandibular joint problems, post concussive syndrome from injury, allergies with sinus congestion and referred pain from tender/trigger points in neck and shoulder area. Certain unrelated causes like hypertension, renal disorder, eye disease, cervical osteoarthritis, brain tumors etc can also cause earaches. Consult your neurologist at the earliest to check the cause and treat accordingly. Hope this helps. Take care.