Neurology Community
45k Members

Sharp pain inner thighs

The pain I experience is usually in my left inner thigh but last week it was in both of my inner thighs.  The pain is a slicing excruciating pain that is horrible.   I have had three children so I know what pain is, but this is horrible pain.  It feels like someone is stabbing me.

It doesn't happen very often and I have experienced this pain for the past several years.   I am 58 years old, I am 5'8" and weigh 165 lbs.  I exercise frequently and am in good health. The only medication I take is celebrex for arthritus, estratest, and synthoid.  

I have been to a back doctor, a neurologist and no one seems to be able to find the cause.  Every time it happens it scares me to death.  There is absolutely no pain or soreness after the pain ceases.  It usually doesn't last over 5 minutes.  But five minutes of horrible pain is enough!

Any ideas?  Any remedies?  Help!  Nelllie
Have anyone imaged (MRI) your back?  I would get another neuro opinion.  Quix
I just recently began to experience similar pain in my right inner mid thigh area - it almost makes me want to sit down the pain is so severe.

I have not seen my MD about it yet due to Xmas and all  - my first episode was last week and have had two more episodes since.

I keep thinking the worst ie: heart and/or cholesterol related.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

***@****

I just saw your posting of May 2007 and the description matches what I have been experiencing. Excruciating sudden pain in the inner thigh - sometimes one, sometimes both - as if someone were burying a burning hot knife in my thigh. An MRI showed a listhesis (sliding vertebra) which may be related. I thought it was over because of back exercises I have been doing, but this afternoon it happened again - and it was awful. I had my babies without pain medication - and this is much worse! It only last 5 minutes or so, but all I can do is hold on to the furniture and scream. So - I was wondering whether you have found out anything in the 2 years since the posting. Of course, information from anyone else would be welcome, too!
Direct Email: ***@****
Thanks - Susan
I have experienced what sounds like the same thing you have had. It has happened several times within the last year. If you want to rate the pain from 1 to 10, it is a 13! It is always in the upper thigh. It is hard to describe other than beyond excruciating. It feels like someone hooked me up to something like an electric chair, but it only went through my entire thigh, not my whole body. It lasted about 5 minutes. The first time it happened about a year ago and I had X-rays that showed nothing. The last time it happened, it woke me up about 3 a.m. and I laid there and just wanted to scream for about 5 minutes. I put a heating pad on it and it subsided. Then a couple hours later, the same thing happened again. Then it happened the third time and that was the last episode. My doctor is clueless and thought it might be some kind of neuropathy (I have diabetes) but thought it odd because it normally would be in the feet and go up from there in to the calf of your leg, not the thigh. There is something to this if it's happening to others who describe it the way I feel.
Hi.  for the past 2 days I have been experiencing the same thing. It is exactly like a red hot knife being plunged into my upper inner thigh. And yet, once it stops, there is no pain in the leg or muscle or anything. Also it feels not like a muscle pain, but only skin deep, despite the extremeness of the pain. Someone suggested to me that a pinched nerve can cause this- the nerve being pinched by tight clothing. So, I have, today, worn the loosest pants that I own and so far so good. I hope your thigh pain has ceased. and I hope this will end my thigh pain. I just got a new job and cannot afford to loose it... Let me know if or how you resolved your leg pain.
I started experiencing this pain last night. Let me just agree about the level of pain first off. Before reading this I was describing the pain as a stab to the inner thigh by a really sharp pencil. What is most odd is its tendency to come and go so quickly. One second your thigh feels likes its being torn open and the next it feels 100%. Not irritated, sore, nothing. Hope it goes away!