Neurology Community

Shoulder Pain and Numbness

6 weeks ago, my hands suddenly started tingling and felt numb.  They also felt swollen, but actually were not.  As time went on, they became worse, and it started running up into the forearm slightly.  In the past 2 weeks, I am so fatiqued, my muscles seem to not want to move, or carry any weight. Now my hands burn, as well feeling pain to touch - and I can no longer make my fingers work.  I am a pianist and teacher (nearly 45 yrs.)- and I am becoming panicked. I have been to my doctor with a battery of blood tests, but all have been fine.  I had extreme stress in 2007, with a short problem with the Sciatica , but no further issues. When under stress, I have a very dull pain that momentarily runs up the back of my head - but no headaches (the feeling of a conjestive cold in my neck). I also am having a problem with balance, and muscles seem to give way when moving. Thank you,
Added note - my face and scalp will itch to the touch, then burn a lot, then disappear - then turn red
Your symptoms are characteristic of Fibromyalgia . There are a number of symptoms of fibromyalgia along with the classic musculoskeletal pain . Other common symptoms of fibromyalgia include the following: Sleep disorders (e.g., restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea) ,Gastrointestinal (e.g., abdominal pain, bloating, gas, cramps, alternating diarrhea and constipation) ,Numbness or tingling sensations ,Chronic headaches (may include facial and jaw pain) ,Heightened sensitivity to odors, loud noises, bright lights, various foods, medicines, and changes in weather , painful sexual intercourse (dyspareunia) ,Frequent urination, strong urge to urinate, and painful urination (dysuria) ,Rapid or irregular heart rate, and shortness of breath ,Sensation of swelling (edema) in the hands and feet, even though swelling is not present .Please consult a physician for the examination , diagnosis and treatment . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !