Neurology Forum

Sneezing

I know that sometimes when some people feel the need to sneeze they look at a light and this triggers a sneeze. I, too, find this helps. What doen't help, however, is when I walk out of somewhere dark or shaded into somewhere bright, whereupon I break into a violent sneezing fit. These fits usually contain around 5-7 sneezes although my record is 9. This causes great helarity amongst my friends and often to passers by. It has happened as long as I can remember and although it's never been a huge problem I just would like to know why.
Dear Elliot:

Sneezing is usually caused by a reflex due to nasal irritiation or irritation of the diaphragm.  What may be happening in your case, the strong light causes you to blink you eye lids very tightly while holding your breath.  This would cause a valsalva and may induce sneezing (diaphragm irritation form the valsalva).  This is only a theory.  Sorry I can't be more definitive.  You might want to try this procedure and see if you can reproduce it just by doing the things that you do when the sneezing starts.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease