Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.2k Members

Son just diagnosed with Pineal gland cyst. Now what?

Hello. thank you for adding me to the group. I was just told yesterday that my 15 year old son's MRI has revealed a 1" (25mm/2.5cm) pineal cyst. We were referred to the pediatric neurologist by our PCP after my son complained of consistent (but not debilitating) headaches off and on. Needless to say I am very scared, but they assured me that as of right now this is not life-threatening. We now have a 2nd contrast-image MRI scheduled for next week and an appointment with a pediatric neurosurgeon next month. I have not shared this with my son as I don't want to scare him before I am better informed. I have a lot of questions that I am developing as I  research (which I have just started to do) but am relieved to have found this community. What makes me nervous is its size. We are in Boston so are being seen at the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Children, which is a great hospital. Has anyone had any experience with this hospital and its doctors? The size of the cyst is very concerning to me... and I am nervous that he will need surgery. Not sure that I have specific questions, yet, but I'd sure love to hear about experiences with cysts of this size. Thank you!
1 Responses
1780921 tn?1499301793
First I would like to start off by saying that I am sorry to hear about your son. I would also like you to know that the only person or persons that will be able to tell you the best course of treatment for you son is his neurosurgeon.

Do not worry about the MRI with contrast, it is only going to let the doctor get a better look at what is going on. Now considering the size and the fact that he is starting to develop "problems" because of it, I believe that he will have to have surgery to reduce the size and prevent it from causing any permanent damage or getting worse.
A craniotomy as is a standard treatment to remove a pineal cyst; but there are less invasive procedures such as: A craniotomy would be performed as a standard treatment to remove a pineal cyst, however there are other ways such as: stereotactic aspiration or endoscopic treatments.
Again I would like to remind you that your sons doctor is going to be the only one that will be able to tell you the best course of treatment for him.  I wish you the best of luck and please try and stay strong.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease