Neurology Community

Spinal infarction after aorta surgery

I have a 2-year old nephew who went through an aorta heart surgery and unfortunately could not stand and walk since then (3 months ago). We were told that due to lack of blood circulation to spinal cord, spinal infaction has happened. We were told there is no surgery or medication to fix the problem and it may take 12 to 18 months for the kid to be able to walk although that may not be 100% recovery (e.g. using a walker)although the fact that the patient is a kid and the spinal cord is developing might be a major factor for recovery. The kid is now under intense physiotherapy and since the surgery, we have noticed many improvements such as moving the toes, start moving on the knees and even standing in a pool of water. Can someone suggest a course of treatment other than physiotherapy? do you think the recovery will be full or partial? whatever suggestions to help us on this situation will be highly qappreciated.
I have attahced the latest THORACIC/LUMBER MRI results below:
An elongated T1W hypointense and T2W hyperintense area can be seen in the lower dorsal cord at the D10,D11 AND D12 vertebrae ,which shows no enhancement after a contrast injection.
The possibility of a myelomalacia should be considered. Other portions of the spinal cord show normal shape and signal. Discovertebral structures appear normal.General dimensions of the tecal sac and neural canal are within normal limits
There is no clear evidence of neoplastic mass lesions in the intra and extradural spaces.Bilateral intervertebral foraminae are normal and symmetric.There is no evidence of abnormal enhancement in the other intra and extradural structures.

I wouldnt know what to tell you except that it sounds like a surgery that went wrong.  Unless he had some problems with his legs prior to surgery??  Why did he have the heart surgery initially?  I have a son that had open heart surgery at the age of 6 months and thank god he is fine now.  However, my son Kamran would have never had surgery in the first place if the MD would not have prescribed a medication for me to take during pregnancy.  We are now in a lawsuit, this doesnt help my sons heart in any way what so ever.  How can these physicians keep messing up our lives without any recourse???  It makes me so angry.  please email me more details.  Mercy  Sage
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad your son is ok. My nephew didn't have a problem prior to surgery. He had a heart deficiency since birth but his well-known pediatrician didn't notice that. He should have been operated on when he was 3-month old but finally when a no-name doctor noticed the problem, they had to rush him for the surgery because his blood pressure was so high. They never confessed but something went wrong during the surgery and it resulted in interruption of blood circulation to spinal cord and he couldn't stand or walk after that. He in now in intensive physiotherapy/movement therapy and we were told that's all they can do for now (no surgery or medications). They have told us that his condition will improve but very slowly (it may take up to 12-18 months) and it may not be 100% (e.g. able to walk but with difficulties). Since he's growing up and just 2 years old, we are hopping the damaged nerves will be regenerated but not certain.