Neurology Forum

Stroke and Hormones

I have had three strokes (I'm 39.) and all of them have happened during the late part of "PMS Week".  I was not on "the pill" during any of these times. (My OB/GYN is now considering if I should take "the pill" continuosly - i.e. never have an "off week")
Please let me know if you believe hormonal changes brought-on your stroke and if any solution was found.

Thank you for your time!
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine your husband and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of his symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

If you have imaging-confirmed strokes (stroke on MRI of the brain) three times given your age, this is very concerning and warrants a workup to find the cause of the stroke. There must be a predisposing factor in you; treatment with hormones may not be the solution, in fact, the pill can actually increase predisposition to clotting. Some potential predisposing factors are what are termed thrombophilias, or a tendency to clot. These are tested for with blood tests and if found, blood thinners are indicated. Also, in a young person such as yourself, other potential causes of stroke include certain neurometabolic causes, infections, and heart problems.

If you have had stroke-like symptoms, the possibilities include TIAs or strokes, but also migraine auras. These would require further workup as well. I recommend evaluation by a neurologist as soon as possible for further evaluation of your strokes.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease