Neurology Community
45k Members

Stroke symptoms???

About 2 mon. ago I was given the wrong meds. accidentally by a pharmacy(to remain nameless) and not knowing it was the wrong meds I took them for a mon. Long story short I became very ill and suffered what was extreemly devistating pain all over my body. The wrong meds were Tizanadine and what it was supposed to be was Elivil.I saw the Dr. and the E.r several times during the month and couldnt figure out the problem and one night after days of severe body aches and migranes I had a scary thing happen. My whole left side went numb and my mouth,toung and eyes drooped and "locked:to the left. I also had very slurred speech and I was terribly off balance.I was sure I had a stroke but the E.r was full and didnt see me and so after several hrs I went back home. About 10 days later I found out it was the meds and my Dr. ordered a MRI. It came back negative for stroke but found a sm. cyst in my sinus and so my Dr. is quick to dismiss the symptoms I had.Should I be worried and what other tests can I have to detect a stroke?
Hi, did you developed the symptoms after stopping therapy with tizanidine or during tratment with tizanadine. Your symptoms are suggestive of hypertonia which is one of the withdrawl symptoms with this medicine as this drug may produce dependence.

Tizanadine is muscle relaxant, acting at the level of brain and usually given in cases of back pain, spasms etc. It is unlikely to have stroke with this drug. But its withdrawl can cause muscle spasm or hypertonia.

Relax and stop worrying about the symptoms but at the same time be watchful.