Neurology Forum

Stroke

Posted By  kd on April 15, 1999 at 15:35:21

:
  : : : :
  : : : : : Topic Area: Stroke
  : : : : : : Two years ago I had a carotid artery surgery which resulted in a severe brain hemmorhage  which has left me with little use of my right side.  Sept. of last year I had an ultrasound of the same artery and it showed 50% blockage.  The only medication I am on is an aspirin a day.  I feel treatment should more aggressive considering the severity of my previous CVA.  Also, I am wondering if your hospital takes medicare.  I will be eligible in July of this year.  I am really scared that something is going to happen with either this artery or another, I have two others that are blocked, too.  I have seen two neurologists and neither have offered a course of treatment that I am satisfied with.  What would you think a good  prevention treatment would be? Thank you,Kay
  : : : : :

_
I didn't mean to take away from Kay's post - but since you "asked" -
None of the blood tests have proven positive for any of the usually associated disorders.  I used to be high average cholesterol (only once peaked above 218) but have been on lipitor for over a year and it's been 135.  I am 5'3", 92 lbs., never smoked, never drank alcohol more than a small glass  2-3 x/yr.  Had cataracts removed at 44 yo.  No one knew why they grew.  Opth. said they were consistency assoc with some muscular dystrophy that I don't have.  The carotid that I had grafted completely closed within a few months.  No one knows why. etc. etc.  The only thing that any one has come up with is premature aging.  Again, they don't know why and it hasn't been pursued so I figure it wasn't pursueable.  I did have a complete hysterectomy at 29.  Sometimes I wonder if the early menopause triggered early aging.  Any evidence in your literature?
Posted by CCF Neuro[P] MD, RPS on April 15, 1999 at 21:17:25
Dear KD;
Sorry there is no data in the literature concerning menopause and athrosclerosis.  If there is data, I am just not aware of it.
Sorry,
CCF Neuro[P] MD

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease