Neurology Forum

Sweating on ONLY 1 side of body

Approx 5 years ago, my husband completely 'stopped' sweating on his right leg. Since then, slowly he has stopped sweating COMPLETELY on the right side & just recently his head down to his left nipple.  Basically, he sweats NOWHERE except the left side of his body from his nipple down, and the sweat pours offf of him just saturating his clothing.  We had him to an Endocrynologist who scratched her head, said she never heard of such a thing & then took a stab in the dark ordering thyroid bloodwork (which he had just had done by our family physician, & showed ZERO red flags) & a scan of his thyroid. I was not comfortable with the direction she was taking. I cancelled tests she ordered & headed to a different Endocrynolgist for a 2nd opinion. He did not believe this was thyroid related givesn the initial blood test results that were done.  He, instead, ordered a different set of blood tests that are based on the fact that my husband has been in the Nuclear power industry for 30+ years.  However, he is leaning toward having to possibly send him to neuro, feeling like the cause is 'multiple tumors' in his back.  Currently we are awaiting the Lab tests & 24 hr peeing in a bottle test to come back.  In the meantime we are wondering what this 'multiple tumors' in his back means, IF that is what is causing this issue.  Whatever is causing this surely needs corrected.  The wait, wonder & lack of knowledge is causing much loss of sleep.  
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

This is an unusual symptom. What you are describing is anhidrosis of the body which basically means decreased sweating. I am not sure if he is having any other symptoms other than this.

This anhidrosis could represent a problem with the autonomic nerves because they are the ones which supply the sweat glands. I think it is wise to run the routine tests. I am not sure what the 24 hour urine test is, it might be a test to check for heavy metal toxicities. I am not sure what diagnosis the endocrinologist is considering when he was talking about the multiple tumors in the back.

In any case, I would advise seeing a neurologist at a center which offers autonomic testing. Some of the useful tests would be QSART (quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test) and a Thermoregulatory Skin Test (TST). If your husband experiences burning pricking pain on his skin as well he might have a small fiber neuropathy. A skin biopsy is useful in this instance.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease