Neurology Forum

Symptoms

My question is can anxiety and panic attacks cause neurological
symptoms. I have this one symptom the comes and goes
I feel like my left arm and leg  gets weak  they feel kinda weird
I can't really explain it but I know it gets worse the more I worry about it.  I also get alot of pressure like headache as well.  I've been to my doctor  a few times now and he still  think it's related to stress and my panic attacks. My question is when should I worry because these symptoms are so real and scary that I can't tell if it's real or anxiety.
Thank you for your time you guys are great.
Thanks again
Dear Chris:

We think that anxiety, fatique, fear, etc. can make neurological symptoms worse.  However, one has to be concerned that the symptoms are real and that anxiety is making them worse and not causings them.  Our perception of reality can vary according to our mental state.  This does not make the symptoms less real to the individual however.  If a full work up was done, then your symptoms might be due to a conversion disorder, anxiety, etc.  I would first make sure that the symptoms are not real.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Have you been evaluated my a neurologist yet?  Your symptoms may be related to anxiety but other things should be ruled out first.  Im going through some bad neurological symptoms myself, and they tell me they think it may be anxiety because they dont know what else it could be right now.  Hope you find your answers.
What is a conversion disorder?
Hi Randy, I have been going through five weeks of tingling in my arms, legs, hands, feet, and face.  At first all I had was a little tingling in my left leg, and I got so scared about it that I had an anxiety attack, and it spread to the rest of my body in minutes.  I also have muscle twitches almost every day, that can happen in any part of my body.  I've been to two nuerologists, and one ms specialist.  They all say it's anxiety.  The last nuero I saw gave me an mri of the brain, and it came out normal.  He said he would have seen something in me office exam if there was an indication of ms.  All these nuerologists truly believe I do not have ms, and it's anxiety.  I don't know what to believe, I wonder if I have to wait to get really sick to find out what's wrong with me, or if the doctors are right and I don't have ms?  I hope their right!!  One nuero said the tingling wouldn't have spread that quick if it was ms, another said it wouldn't be all over my body if it was ms, and the ms specialist, an older man from spain said he was so sure it wasn't ms that he would write it down on paper without testing me!!  Doctor if you happen to come across this message could you give me some advice if you think I should believe these doctors?  I'm a 23 year old female, four months post partum.  And Randy I hope for both our sakes it is anxiety.  The brain is a very powerful thing, so I'm sure it can create physical symptoms, but let's just hope it is a passing thing.  If anyone has any advice for me, I'd appreciate it thank you.
Dear Maureen:

Since several doctors are in agreement about your symptoms and your tests are normal, I would have to agree that it sounds like anxiety. Additionally, tingling sensations such as you describe can occur during periods of anxiety and are usually caused by shallow and rapid breathing. Slow, rhythmic deep breathing can help alleviate this symptom. Relaxation training and meditation are helpful ways of dealing with anxiety. There are also non-addictive drugs a doctor can prescribe which can help block anxiety attacks. So I would listen to what your doctors say, and focus on getting treatment for anxiety.

Hope this helps,
Annette
I'm sorry, I meant to address my comment to Chris, and I wrote Randy by accident, so the message was to you Chris.  Thanks for any advice.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease