Neurology Community
45k Members

TIA's, mini stroke or possibly epilepcy?

Dr Please help
symptoms
vertigo, loss of balance, dizziness, weeknees in limbs, blurry vision (sometimes), confusion, memory loss after an episode followed by major fatigue for a couple of days. During last nights episode  or before lastnights episode I felt like I was having tunnel hearing (like tunnel vision) 2 times before my episode and then during my episode lost sounds completly until came to. my vision went black for a couple of seconds. Can you loose your hearing during an epileptic episode I have been tested by the ENT dr. Tests came out negative for inner ear, have has sleep studies came out fine. i dont drink and i do not use recreational drugs. did have a TIA almsot 8 months ago. I am on meds for migrains(verapamil)and blood pressure, asprin, meclizine and zofran( on MRi were leisions which is what neuro said was from migrains since the verapimil I dont ever get headaches (about 6 months) except after last nights spell.and I ahve noticed this week my dizzy spells have been more frequent. Today i am extremely fatigued. Since Sat I have had two episodes which I dont remember, and constant dizzy spells.IS this a type or signs of epilepcy? Or Tia? Primary called it an epileptic episode. I see neuro on Monday
Hi there. Your symptoms are more than the headaches or migraines. These symptoms are suggestive of multiple sclerosis, a demyelinating disorder affecting the white matter of the brain. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder  symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. You have many of these symptoms. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination , two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain location. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis  reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons transmit nerve signals slower than non demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked  potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Take care.