Neurology Community

Thoracic Pain - MRI Results

Greetings,

I've been suffering from mid-back pain for over 2 years now. After much pushing, my neurologist requested an MRI of my thoracic spine. The results showed that, besides for some minor bulging disks in my L-Spine, everything else was "fairly normal for a person in the military". However, there was a distinct black line running through my spine. The doctor requested a 2nd imaging to be done, and stated that either it was nothing at all, or it was a blood vessel engorged with blood that is causing pressure against my spine.

Would anyone be able to tell me if this sounds accurate? If so, do you know what the name of this specific problem is?

I have become a bit skeptical, since throughout the past two years I've been diagnosed with completely different issues (kidney stones, spinal degeneration, and now - this) and nothing has been done except filling me up with narcotics and anti-seizure medicines such as neurontin and lyrica.

Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

From the symptoms you are describing it can be due to spinal disc problems disc prolapse, disc degeneration or any other spinal deformity leading to leg/thigh pain, numbness, reduce muscle strength and bowel/urine incontinence. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises, use of back braces, surgical intervention (such as diskectomy, laminectomy), steroid injection in back and pain killers could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps.