Neurology Community

Throat Pain

I am a 45 year old female with Fibromyalgia (I have had this about 10 years). I have had throat pain for around 13 years. It started as a slight tickle, then progressed to a frequent "throat clearing".  I now have a very sensitive gag reflex so that I have trouble eating sometimes. If food touches my throat, I can begin to cough; this can either lead to more coughing or vomiting. If I have a coughing fit, it causes my head to hurt around the temple area. The tickle that I once had now is a constant pain at the base of my tongue and the area right above the "Adam's apple". Sometimes this pain feels like a swelling, numbness or a burning sensation and can spread down to my chest. I have seen several doctor's about the problem but nothing has been found. I actually went to the ER about a year ago because the pain was bad enough to make me think that I was having a heart attack. Please help. I thought it was just the Fibro but I hate to think this is something that I will have to live with the rest of my life. I also don't want to have something more serious happening and miss it. Could it be my thyroid?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possible causes of the throat pain and the exaggerated gag reflex that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, muscular issues, psychological issues, growths/ masses etc. Solitary exaggerated gag reflex is unlikely to be a result of neurological issues while that pain/ discomfort could be a related symptom. I suggest considering a detailed evaluation by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected it can be managed accordingly or specialist (rheumatology/ neurology) may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!