Neurology Community
45k Members

Throbbing pressure in head upon standing and walking

I am a 38 yr old female.  About a year ago I started to experience a very strange feeling that occurs periodically when I move from a sitting to a standing position and start to walk.  The sensation is as if my head and neck are throbbing with pressure and I have to stop walking or slow down and stop and stand still for a minute or so to make the sensation stop.  Sounds are muffled in rhythm with the pulsations and I sometimes feel as if I will pass out, but never have.  There is no pain.

I have been checked throughly by my GP, a cardiologist, and an electrophysiologist  and none of them could find a cause.  It does seem to happen sometimes when I am hungry and have missed a meal or eaten later than usual.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
I have the same thing!!
I just had an episode yesterday!  I'm very concerned about this.  My BP has been good.
I am 60 yrs old and I experience just about the same symptoms.  My throbbing I have is in the back of my head nearer the neck area.  Once this pressure starts there is nothing I can take that will stop the throb every time I get up to walk.    I usuall get it in the afternoon and continue for the rest of the day.  I am fine the next day.  My doctor thinks it can be from tension, anxiety,  looking at the computer too long,etc.  
Oh my gosh!  I have been experiencing the EXACT same thing  BoosMama mentioned for the last 5 months!  When it first started, the throbbing happened almost every time I stood up after sitting for awhile (especially sitting in the car) and was very intense, lasting only a minute or two.  Lately, not so intense and so frequently, but still there.  I had a brain MRI that was negative.  All the doctors I've seen have no idea what it could be :(   Good to know (I think) that I'm not alone...  
I, too, am having great head pressure when going from sitting to stading position.  This has been going on for approx 3 years.  I'll have periods where it happens several times a day for a week or so, then I'm OK for a few months.  Seems to be happening more often as time goes on.  Have been to neurologist which seems to think it's tension headaches.  MRI's and CT scans don't show anything.  This is pretty irritating.   Let me know if any of you have suggestions.
Please help us - what is this???  I also have the same problems, have just had 11 lesions found in my brain but no definintive dx (just dx with tmjd but have no pain xcept for the rare headache) - it's this PRESSURE when I stand up or walk - but sometimes even when laying down I get the pulsatile tinnitus.  I have low blood pressure normally - used to feel faint when standing up too fast - now can't get up that fast - but get this pressure instead anyway!!!  HELP US PLEASE!
Glad I found this site and know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms.  I have gone thru all of the cardiac tests and also have seen a neurologists.  I am going for an MRI next week.  My neurologist thinks it is a form of a migraine headache.