Neurology Community
45k Members

Tightness and pain in legs and hands

I am 44, been diabetic 30  yrs., have scoliosis, hypothyroidism, celiac disease and chiari malformation decompression done 2000 and VP shunt placed in 2001 bc of hydrocephalus caused from several bouts with aseptic meningitis after chiari surgery. I now have horrible numbness, tingling and pain in my hands and feet. To the point that it keeps me home more and more and unable to do things I need to do. My endocrinologist doesn't think it's related to my diabetes since I have no other diabetes related complications. I have  an appt with a pain group in March to help ease my chronic pain. I take synthroid, have humalog insulin in my medtronic insulin pump, take wellbutrin XL, have a 100 mcg fentanyl patch that is changed every 24 hours, and take Vicodin as needed just to function during the day. Needless to say I am sleepy during the day and can't sleep at night! I also take 300 mg. of Lyrica 3x daily.  You'd think I wouldn't have the pain I have, but it's unbearable. I need help don't know what to do. Any suggestions from anybody? I'd appreciate any I can get.
ThanksTags
hello KDK123,
Diabetic neuropathy is very common problem of diabetes. It's a good news that you don't have any other complication of diabetes, but the numbness, etc can be a alarming factor(even your doctor thinks other ways)
The reason he is thinking other was is that you have a cluster of other m edical problems like thyroid.scoliosis, etc which can also mimick these symptoms.
So continue his treatment, and get a second opinion (orthopaedician), if you want a full care.

And keep us posted here.
Regards
abhijeet