Neurology Community

Tingles in head followed by dizziness

I'm 23, female, and in generally decent health as far as I know. No real issues; however, I was in a car wreck at five years old. The left side of my head was crushed. I'm not sure if this is related in the slightest.

For the past two years or so, I've occasionally gotten these..attacks?

It'll come on very suddenly and leave me immobile for 12 hours to two days.

The following symptoms happen within about two seconds. First, I feel a little off. Like my brain just left my skull. This part is often over in a fraction of a second. Then, I get an almighty, debilitating, dizzying, sickening tingling in the back of my head, under my skull and just on the top of my brain. Then I hit the floor. The tingling starts in one tiny spot and flows outward. This lasts for maybe a second then goes away completely.

I'll stay down for a few minutes while the earth spins wildly around me, on the verge of vomiting, and unable to stand. After those minutes, I'll stand and quickly move to a more comfortable position where I'll lay on my back (usually, as this seems to help a little bit). Then, I'll wait for however long it takes to regain normality.

This occurs randomly. Sometimes once a month, sometimes several times a week. When I'm lucky, I'll go over a month between attacks.

A few months after these attacks started, I went to the E.R. and they did two MRI scans. One with contrast and one without. They found nothing. I went back again a year ago, they did another MRI, and again found nothing.

I'm at a loss at to what this could be. I have no idea where to start. Finding anything with the sudden spread of tingling in the back of the head is really hard.
To add a little more information:

This can happen at any time. I've had attacks while doing yard work, standing at check out, etc. It's actually woken me up from REM before.