Neurology Community
45k Members

Tingly Sensation on Back of Head when Happy

This is not something I am necessarily worried about, but I've just wondered about it my entire life without actually asking anyone.  It sounds bizarre, but I have had a reoccuring sensation along the back of my neck and backside of my head that feels like a tingly or tickly sensation.  This only happens whenever I am in a complacent mood and someone is telling me something.  For some reason, it has occured most often when someone is instructing me on how to do something, usually involving steps.  Go figure on that part.  It happens maybe three times a year, since I was little.  I remember it first happening when my mom would read comic books to me and it happened again in class today when the teacher was happily discussing spreadsheets.  I figure it has something to do with a physical reaction to sudden serotin levels increasing?  Maybe you can shed some light on it.  I sound crazy just reading it back...
You aren't crazy.  I get this too.  It usually only happens with certain people, and like you it's when they are telling or instructing me on a new concept or similar.  There might also be a requirement for me to be in the right (receptive) mood.

I would also be interested to hear what it is exactly that does this.
Hey this happens to me too. I don't know why I never asked I thought everyone got it. I wish it would happen when boring stuff in school is happening but it doesn't. It only happens when I getting instructions, I remember getting it ever since I was little. I know there isn't suppose to be a physical symptom of serotonin release. I wish I had a way to make it happen consistently when ever I wasn't feeling too good. The closest thing I've found to making it happen on purpose is to watch hypnosis videos. I know your thinking "What?. but something about the instructions sets it off. If your a man watch a video with a woman in it, and opposite if you're a woman.  I also get this feeling if someone I'm sexually attracted to acts dominate towards me. Like a girl tells me to do something with instructions, in a demanding way, but she is saying like she isn't mad but just controlling me. In a good way. I know it sounds weird but...
Wow. I have been wondering this for years. The first time I can remember it is when I was about 5 or 6 and my teacher was hovering over my shoulder guiding me on what to do. I get this tingly sensation in my head. I get it a lot at the doctor or dentist too. I can't wait to be operated on because I get that sensation in my head that these people are going to be working on me, I'm not sure why.
Hi all,
This is weird, I get the exact same thing, and I too have wondered for years what it was... I guess none of us knows, but it's interesting to find out that other people get it too! It's a brilliant feeling, kind of all over the top/back of my head around my crown, tingly or fizzy. I know what you all mean about the instructions thing - I guess that must be something to do with it. For me, it doesn't have to be necessarily getting instructions, or from someone I know; I always thought it was more to do with watching something done well, seeing someone do something step by step/methodically, and I guess instructions are a part of it too. For example, I agree with the previous poster who said they look forward to going to the doctor or dentist to get this feeling - I always found that, even better than either of those, was the optician. Getting my eyes tested sets it off like nothing on earth, I miss the days when I got my eyes checked free twice a year by the NHS! Another example I remember from youth was a short story by Roald Dahl, I can't remember the title but I think it was in the collection "The Great Automatic Grammatizator", and it was about an expert wine taster... I don't want to give the story away for anyone who might want to read it one day, but there is a part where he describes his process for discerning a wine, and that always gave me this feeling. Something I find great for it now is youtube tutorial videos, and without wanting to sound like I'm plugging it, ExpertVillage on there has at least 5 for anything you can think of... I especially enjoy card tricks, massage techniques, and (rather embarassingly for a young man), make-up tutorials. It definitely helps if the instructor in the video has an accent I enjoy I think.

Oh well, maybe one day we'll find out what it is eh, I like the seratonin idea.
Cheers!
I started having this feeling starting last year. But I get this ticklish or tingling feeling mostly on the crown of my head only when I am sleepy and trying to stay awake. If I don't go to bed immediately, it gets to the point where I can't stand it anymore. Now it is happening more often.. like when I am watching TV.... etc... and the way I get rid of this feeling is by getting some rest which means going to bed.
I'm so glad I stumbled on this.

I've had this feeling since kindergarten (at least). The situation is the same for me (I can't believe this!). Usually, someone is walking me through steps on how to do something. It's a calm, hypnotic (though largely physical sensation).

Here's my two cents: First of all, I've learned to control it. I can't really start it on my own but I can prolong it and sometimes bring it back shortly after its ended. I feel like its very relaxing so I've tried to maintain it in the past. Secondly, I've asked a lot of people about it and never found someone who knew what I was talking about. I suspect this isn't something that happens to everyone- so, are we lucky?

Thanks for writing folks.