Neurology Community
45k Members

Tourettes

I am an eighteen year old male, and when I was twelve I was diagnosed with a mild case of
Tourettes syndrome. Most of the time the tics are controllable, and often they go
away completely. However, during times of stress or anxiety they can become quite
violent, manifesting primarily as head jerks and tightening of the neck muscles. After a prolonged period of this, I sometimes experience light-headedness and head-ache. My question is then, is there any way these head jerks could be strong enough to damage my brain? I don't hit my head or anything, but the symptoms worry me. I have not heard of anyone with Tourettes causing themselves brain damage, even people with much worse cases than mine, but I would like to be
sure. If I have caused myself brain damage, is there anyway to reverse the effects, or is brain damage always permanent?
Complications of Tourette's syndrome are usually psychosocial.  However, there are cases where some develop conditions such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorders, depression and anxiety disorders.

Aside from these, and to the best of my knowledge, no other significant brain damage occurs with this condition.  You can consult your neurologist and ask him/her regarding this.
Alexander,
I think you're worrying too much about brain damage, since you haven't shown any signs of it.
There are some ways you may be able to help yourself with the Tourette's.
Magnesium, B complex, and pharmaceutical quality fish oil.
Magnesium is very helpful for muscle twitching and cramping.
Buy magnesium glycinate or taurinate, not mag oxide, which is too difficult to absorb.
You can google Tourette's and fish oil or magnesium for information.
Example:  http://www.wemove.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000046;p=0

"Painkiller99" mentioned attention deficit, obsessive compulsive disorders, depression and anxiety.
The supplements would also be helpful for these conditions.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
What are the symptoms of brain damage? I would imagine there are different ones for varying degrees of injury correct?
Thanks for the medication suggestions also.
Brain damage:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_damage
Brain injury does not necessarily result in long-term impairment or disability, although the location and extent of damage both have a significant effect on the likely outcome.
In serious cases of brain injury, the result can be permanent disability, including neurocognitive deficits, delusions, speech or movement problems, and mental handicap. There may also be personality changes.
Severe brain damage may result in persistent vegetative state, coma, or death.

Brain fog:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_fog
Excerpt:  Brain fog involves persistent or episodic cognitive dysfunction, and may be associated with forgetfulness, confusion, slowed thinking, distractability, depersonalization, the inability to remember the correct words when speaking or writing.