Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members

Trigeminal

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia, I take Gabapenton 1800 milligrams per day, and I also take 10 milligrams of Prednisone for Lupus.  Since I have been taking the Prednisone I have very little breakthrough of pain. I have tried to reduce the Prednisone and I get breakthroughs of pain.  I am beside myself because I do not want to go up on the Prednisone or the Gabapenton. And I do not want to have the pain.  I have heard of a Glycerol and Alcohol injection in the Trigeminal nerve.  
How safe is that?
Does it work?
Can I get off the meds?
Is there pain in having that treatment done when on the table?
2 Responses
you are not on a super high dose of prednisone but it seems to do the trick - can you go off since you have lupus?    there are other medications that could work well -- such as tegretol.   but if you want to be off meds completely  you could talk to an experienced neurosurgeon who could explain the procedure to you -- it does work in many people.
Thank you for your reply.
I had Viral Hepatitis when I was small and was in a coma; my liver dropped an inch in my stomach and went to mush at that time.  I would like to keep medications that do not go through the liver.  Every time I try to reduce the prednizone the pain leeks through.  Should I increase my Gabapenton and start to decrease the prednizone.
Just a side note on the Gabipenton, my emotions are almost nill............. I can hardly cry anymore, feel no fear or excitement. Is this normal?

Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease