Neurology Community

Trigeminal

I have Trigeminal Neuralgia, I take Gabapenton 1800 milligrams per day, and I also take 10 milligrams of Prednisone for Lupus.  Since I have been taking the Prednisone I have very little breakthrough of pain. I have tried to reduce the Prednisone and I get breakthroughs of pain.  I am beside myself because I do not want to go up on the Prednisone or the Gabapenton. And I do not want to have the pain.  I have heard of a Glycerol and Alcohol injection in the Trigeminal nerve.  
How safe is that?
Does it work?
Can I get off the meds?
Is there pain in having that treatment done when on the table?
you are not on a super high dose of prednisone but it seems to do the trick - can you go off since you have lupus?    there are other medications that could work well -- such as tegretol.   but if you want to be off meds completely  you could talk to an experienced neurosurgeon who could explain the procedure to you -- it does work in many people.
Thank you for your reply.
I had Viral Hepatitis when I was small and was in a coma; my liver dropped an inch in my stomach and went to mush at that time.  I would like to keep medications that do not go through the liver.  Every time I try to reduce the prednizone the pain leeks through.  Should I increase my Gabapenton and start to decrease the prednizone.
Just a side note on the Gabipenton, my emotions are almost nill............. I can hardly cry anymore, feel no fear or excitement. Is this normal?