Neurology Community
45k Members

Unable to focus

I have always seemed to have a problem with focusing my thoughts and when studying my mind wanders almost instantly, but not out of boredom I just cannot seem to control my mind to focus on tasks for the majority of time. It seems to have gotten worse in the past few years now to the point where it seems to be affecting my school work. When actually thinking my thought are usually cloudy and I can't just think about one thing at one time, I always seem to have to think about multiple things at a time and It makes revision for school very difficult among other things.
Kelly,
    Set up an appointment with your doctor so you can talk about ADD (attention deficit disorder). From the symptoms you talked about that is what it sounds like to me. My oldest daughter has the same problem, she is not able to stay focused on tasks for any length of time. Her doctor prescribed her Ritalin (methylphenidate) and FOCALIN XR (dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride).

She has been taking them for years now, and it has helped her allot. We still have to remind her to take them every now and then, but her ability to stay focused has improved almost 100%.

I am not a doctor and this is only my advice and recommendation.