Neurology Community
45k Members

Unusual stroke aftermath sensations

My husband suffered a mild stroke in the spring.  He is presently taking Lisinopril (20 mgs.) and one regular adult aspirin a day.  He used to take Lipitor, but had to stop due to serious side affects.  He's aware of some of the sensations that he may feel due to his stroke (numbness in his left side involving his leg, arm, fingers, etc.).  Recently, he has experienced what he calls a "wet fingers" sensation.  On his left hand he sometimes feels as if a couple of his fingers are wet.  He also notices sometimes feeling like a belt is wrapped around his left side.  Are these normal sensations for a post-stroke patient?  He has also noticed a little memory loss, which may be common with age.  My husband just turned 57.  He noticed when reading numbers, he sometimes reverses the numbers or sees them in the wrong order, which was a problem he dealt with when he was younger.  Is it possible that certain skills could be lost from a stroke?   If these are common symptoms in a post-stroke patient, I would just like to be aware of this so that I can be of support to him.

Thanks very much for your expertise!

MJP  
Hi.

The symptoms experienced after a stroke is quite variable and would depend on the severity of the stroke as well as the area of the brain involved.

The "wet fingers sensation" and feeling of a belt around your husband's left side could be paresthesias and can possibly be associated with the stroke he just experienced. However, it may also be secondary to some peripheral neuropathy associated with other conditions. You could opt to observe your husband's symptoms for the time being and see if they would worsen or resolve with time.

What actual skills have been lost in your husband's case? Most instances of stroke have presented with some form of cognitive dysfunction and this may be what you are asking about.

Stroke patients need long-term support and care and your husband is lucky that you are very much concerned and involved in his health.

Good luck.