Neurology Community
45k Members

Vertebral Artery Stenosis

I am 34 years old who's currently in Vietnam.  For about a month now I've been feeling light-headed and after number of blood tests which came back clean I had gone for an MRI which showed that I have Vertebral Artery Senosis - my left artery is 1mm and my right is 3.1 mm.  How serious is this and how quickly can it get worse - and how much time do I have to deal with this?

The doctor in Vietnam told me that I can go back to Canada and get it taken care of there, however I think that Canadian doctors and medical system is a joke and so I'd first would like to look at possibilities of getting this addressed in Vietnam or Thailand.

The procedure recommended by the Doctor in Vietnam is Endovascular Stenting with total cost of about $3000 which is a lot to pay out of my pocket as my Travel Insurance company told me that they only cover emergency procedures and this does not seem to be one of them - they suggested I go back to Canada I guess so I could wait months to see a specialist.

So what I am trying to find out is what is the best treatment for Vertebral Artery Stenosis?  Is there some medication I can take which would help?  Is Stenting the best solution? What are the things to watch out for with Stenting or anything else you recommend?  And if possible what would be a good place to have the procedure done around South East Asia?  I am in Vietnam now but can easily get to Thailand or China.

Also can flying cause any complications with my current situation?

Anything else I am missing or should consider?
I have the same situation could you tell me pleace if you solved this problem and how you did that