Neurology Forum

Was it a seizure

My 7 year old son was diagnosed in March with Partial complex seizure disorder. This weekend, he called out to my husband, when my husband went to see what he wanted, he said Daddy I feel funny. Then he seemed fine. My husband seem to think it was nothing, I on the other hand think differently. Since this happened, he has been very aggitated at home and at school, quick tempered, very much off task, tired, and just not himself. His teacher and counselor also have noticed the change. This same thing happened for about a week after he had his first seizure and I was told that this sometimes happens. I find myself watching him nonstop. The seizures he did have only lasted approximately 1 - 2 minutes in which he could not speak, stared at the ceiling, chewing or tasting motion to his mouth.
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Complex partial seizures are seizures that start from a focal area of the brain (as opposed to generalized seizures in which the whole brain, simply put, kind of seizures at once). Complex partial seizures associated with an alteration in consciousness and are often associated with the movements you describe such as chewing or picking at things, what is known as automatisms. There are several causes for these types of seizures, as reflected by findings on imaging (MRI) of the brain, including but not limited to sclerosis of a specific part of the brain, most commonly part of an area of the brain called the temporal lobe, tumors, vascular malformations, and others. The concern with complex partial seizures it that they can generalize to involve the whole brain, leading to violent convulsions. The second concern is that if they occur during a particular activity (such swimming or bathing) they could lead to injury during the period of altered consciousness.

Behavioral changes in children with epilepsy can have a variety of causes. Postictal (following seizure) changes can just be part of the effects of the seizure, but these typically last a few hours or at most days. Children with epilepsy can have behavioral changes as a result of their reaction to the diagnosis if they understand it. In addition, patients with epilepsy are at higher risk of developing depression, and in children, this depression may be expressed as behavioral changes and agitation rather than the more typical symptoms of depression. Most often, behavioral changes in children with epilepsy are the result of their seizure medications. Some seizure medications, such as leveteracetam (keppra) but also others can lead to a variety of behavioral problems such as irritability, aggression, and impulsivity.

Discussion of your concerns with your child's neurologist is recommended. He may benefit specifically from evaluation by a pediatric epileptologist, which can be found in most tertiary care centers (such as university hospitals etc).

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease