Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Was this a TIA/mini-stoke??

About a month ago I had the following symptoms.  My doctor has diagnosed it as a TIA.  He believes I had it as a result of a virus.  Any advice or suggestions as to what you think it could have been and what I should do next would be appreciated.

I am a 42 yr old female with no history of headaches or heart problems.  I was feeling great until the night before by TIA.  The night before I had a headache that I considered "weird."  I don't normally get headaches, but this one was on the right side of my head and felt sort of tingly. I went to bed and woke up the next morning with severe nystagmus.  I wasn't really dizzy, I couldn't focus because by eyes were darting back and forth really fast.  My left arm and hand were numb.  I felt I needed to go to the bathroom and started to loose control of my bowels by the time I got to the bathroom.  By the time the paramedics got to me, my symptoms had been going on for about an hour.  I was also very weak and felt like I couldn't think straight.  The paramedics said my blood pressure was about 138/? my usual BP is around 90/60.  By the time I got to the hospital and someone examined me my nystagmus had gone away and I was now dizzy.  My left arm and hand were still numb and my left leg was having some numbness.  I was also very weak.   About 3 hours after my symptoms started they did a CT scan - it was normal, by then, all of my symptoms were gone.  About 11 hours after my symptoms started they did an MRI without contrast -- it also came back normal.  I was discharged and they put "acute pheriphial vertigo" on my discharge papers.  I followed up with an ENT and he said he didn't think it was vertigo.  My regular doctor said he thinks I had a TIA  and to follow up with cardiologist because I could have a hole in my heart.  After more testing the cardiologist said I don't have a PFO and suggested I follow up with a neurologist.  The neurology who looked at my MRI at the hospital said I don't need to follow up.

Since have the TIA or whatever it was, I have had a constant headache that when it gets really bad I get numbness/sensations in my face and I am fatigued.

I'm at a loss -- any suggestions??

Thanks!
1 Responses
Hi, transient ischemic attack is interruption in blood supply of some area in brain for short period, giving rise to symptoms which last less than 24 hrs.

“Symptoms vary widely from person to person, depending on the area of the brain involved. The most frequent symptoms include temporary loss of vision (typically amaurosis fugax); difficulty speaking (aphasia); weakness on one side of the body (hemiparesis); and numbness or tingling (paresthesia), usually on one side of the body. Impairment of consciousness is very uncommon. If there are neurological symptoms persisting for more than 24 hours, it is classified as a cerebrovascular accident, or stroke. The most common cause of a TIA is an embolus (a small blood clot) that occludes an artery in the brain. This most frequently arises from an atherosclerotic plaque in one of the carotid arteries (i.e. a number of major arteries in the head and neck) or from a thrombus (i.e. a blood clot) in the heart due to atrial fibrillation.
Other reasons include excessive narrowing of large vessels due to an atherosclerotic plaque and increased blood viscosity due to some blood diseases. TIA is related with other medical conditions like hypertension, heart disease (especially atrial fibrillation), migraine, cigarette smoking, hypercholesterolemia, and diabetes mellitus”. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease