A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members
1627094 tn?1304446286

What can the lump behind his ear be?

My boyfriend has this lump or it may even be a cyst behind his neck and its really close to his ear. Since he was young he has always had  health problems because when he was a baby he had heart surgery. I guess the doctors warned him and his mom that he will forever have and occasinal migraines. But now its gotten worse as his grown older. He now has this lump behind his ear for maybe about a couple of years now but before it wasnt so bad but now he gets it almost every day is always taking tylenol or somthing to help it go away but thats not working anymore. The pain that he is experiancing  goes through out his whole right side of his jaw and shoots up back up to his head and that area of the skin where it hurts is sensitive to touch, the skin also kinda change color. He says it moves and when it does thats when he gets these pains.Please Help!
1 Responses
I think he needs to see two diff docs.  One is a dermatologist, who can decide if it is indeed a cyst and in fact remove it, too.  Now, the other doc would be one who handles migraines, and they can give better meds than just over-the-counter stuff your boyfriend takes now.  The fact that it has worsened, the migraine doc can explain that and help with just the whole thing as it is for him now.  But keep in mind a cyst in that location is quite common, probably a cyst that came from an oily skin blockage, I've gotten a few myself on my head, and they just cut them out of there, sew it up, send it to the lab, and later take the stitches out.  And I had a girlfriend in college who had migraines, they really took her down when she had them, and she saw several docs for various things, especially the migraines.  She was number one in a very large university freshman class, so apparently getting the right doc for migraines is a good idea.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease