Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Whether he has Epilepsy or ADHD

My son when he was 8 was diagnosed with ADHD and petit mal epilepsy. Since then he was put on depokote and strattera. He is now 15 and was taken off depakote about 6 months ago b/c he didnt have any clinical signs of epilepsy. He had an EEG 2 months ago and it showed abnormal awake and drowsy EEG because of sharp and a slow wave activity,synchronous and asynchronous in predominantly frontotemporal lobes. There is exacerbation of this activitity during hyperventiliation and photic stimulation.  These findings are consistent with frequent epileptiform activity, Consider Straterra as a medications to know whether he shows seizure and followup with neurology recommended. He does well academically however he can be frustrated if he doesnt get something. He is well organized, doesnt procrastinate and doesnt forget his homework which makes me thiknk he doesnt have ADHD. He does say inappropriate stuff and doesnt know why and sometimes denies saying it. He is has anxiety and low self esteem which can fall into the epilepsy category so I dont know which category he falls into. thank you.
1 Responses
681148 tn?1437665191
Sounds more like both to me.  My friend has epilepsy with petit mals.  She does many of the same things.  She found out that she also has a learning disability, which is why she didn't get her high school diploma 'til she was a full grown adult and had already raised her son.  She discovered that it is Dyslexia.

My brother has adult ADHD.  Current understanding is that ADHD doesn't go away.  He didn't learn about it 'til he was an adult and after his own kid was diagnosed with ADHD.  They figure this kind of thing out by having people who know what he was like as a kid and comparing it to current issues.  I don't think he takes anything for it, but he does see someone for cognitive therapy.  He has to work hard to stay organized.  Fortunately, his wife helps him out with some of that, too.  And, since he wants very much to be a good role model for his own children, he really works hard at doing the things that help him stay focused as much as the ADHD will allow.  

Both conditions are neurological from what I've learned.  Maybe your son still has both but has been able to learn how to compensate for many of the ADHD issues, since he was diagnosed as a young child.  
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease