Neurology Community
45k Members

advice on knee pain

hi my name is mandy i resently had a discsectomy of left disc i had to have 2 operation one 8wks ago then the other a week half ago as the first one didnt work whih was hard to accept so after the second op now i have rely ad pain in my knee and on my calve right down to my ankle my knee gives way when i am cuming downstairs and when i go up stair i feel like really sick when i go down on it a funny way .is this a separate thing or is it all linked together.i dii have the knee pain before the op so i just dont no what is wrong as i dont want a third op it is all to much can you give me advice please as i dont no what to do  .thank you
Hello Dear,

The most common problem of a discectomy is that there is a chance that another fragment of disc will herniate and cause similar symptoms down the road. This is a so-called recurrent disc herniation, and the risk of this occurring is about 10-15%.
Most patients find relief of much, if not all, of their symptoms from a discectomy. However, the success of the procedure is about 85-90%, meaning that 10% of patients who undergo a discectomy will still have persistent symptoms. Patients who have symptoms for long periods of time, or severe neurologic deficits (such as significant weakness) are at higher risk of incomplete recovery.
You should consult your neurologist regarding this.If the pain seems to be in the knee and the bones then go in for a x-ray to rule out degenerative changes.
Refer http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/herniateddisk/a/ruptureddisk_3.htm
Best