Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

advice on knee pain

hi my name is mandy i resently had a discsectomy of left disc i had to have 2 operation one 8wks ago then the other a week half ago as the first one didnt work whih was hard to accept so after the second op now i have rely ad pain in my knee and on my calve right down to my ankle my knee gives way when i am cuming downstairs and when i go up stair i feel like really sick when i go down on it a funny way .is this a separate thing or is it all linked together.i dii have the knee pain before the op so i just dont no what is wrong as i dont want a third op it is all to much can you give me advice please as i dont no what to do  .thank you
1 Responses
Hello Dear,

The most common problem of a discectomy is that there is a chance that another fragment of disc will herniate and cause similar symptoms down the road. This is a so-called recurrent disc herniation, and the risk of this occurring is about 10-15%.
Most patients find relief of much, if not all, of their symptoms from a discectomy. However, the success of the procedure is about 85-90%, meaning that 10% of patients who undergo a discectomy will still have persistent symptoms. Patients who have symptoms for long periods of time, or severe neurologic deficits (such as significant weakness) are at higher risk of incomplete recovery.
You should consult your neurologist regarding this.If the pain seems to be in the knee and the bones then go in for a x-ray to rule out degenerative changes.
Refer http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/herniateddisk/a/ruptureddisk_3.htm
Best
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease