Neurology Forum

anticardiolipin antibodies

I am 18 years old and was diagnosed for anticardiolipin antibodies about 3 years ago. Since then, I receive a daily dose of Aspirin to prevent complications.
My last blood test showed that I don't currently have the antibodies, but I have all the symptoms. Does this mean I don't have the condition any more? And if I do, what else can I do to control it?
P.s. - where can I find more information about this condition?
Dear Yula:

Sorry that you have been diagnosed with having anticardiolipin antibodies.  You have probably read alot about what they are and how they are associated with cardiovascular events such as stroke.  Research is still probing into what it means to have these antibodies.  What the studies thus far have suggested is that you need to have moderate to high levels of these antibodies to predispose you to an event.  There are likely multiple factors involved and having just the antibodies probably has little effect on stoke.  However, if you take birth control pills, are obese, smoke, etc all of these thogether can increase your risk for stroke or MI.  We find that these antibodies can vary in their level.  Some illness even cause them, such as viral illness.  Although we think that you have to be genetically predisposed.  So, the answer to your question is to minimize the other risk factors that compound having anticardiolipin antibodies.  Exercise, stay slim, eat a correct diet, don't smoke or do drugs, minimize alcohol etc.

I hope that I answered your question.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
what is the test for anticadiolipin antibodies????  I would ne interested to know because I am taking asprin also to preven clotting but I am not aware of any test that was done to sheck me for them.
Dear Tracey:

The antibodies are found in the serum and a simple blood draw will allow their detection.  Depending on the other factors involved, atrial fibrillation, ventricle wall motion dyskinesia, athrosclerosis, Leiden V, etc. aspirin is a good first line medication for the prevention of stroke.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am so sorry to keep asking these questions but i am desperate for find a reason for the many symptoms that I have-I want to ask my doctor straight out if he has done this test-is you can tell me what is the name of this blood draw to detect these antibodies
Dear Tracey:

Serum anticardiolipin IgG and IgA levels.

CCF Neuro MD
I have a question about anticardigan anti-bodies and anti phospholipids....I had blood work done for both of these my anticardigan was normal but my anti-phospholipids was high 320, what does this mean?
Dear Christine:

The antiphosholipid antibody can be seen in many disorders.  However, in the proper context they can be a sign of increased risk for MI and Stroke.  When the antibodies are present and there are other risk factors such as infection, high blood pressure, smoking, obesity, diabetes, collagen vascular disorders, and some genetic abnormalities such as Leiden Factor V, thrombin, PMA-1, etc. there is an added risk for the occurence of MI and stroke.  It doesn't mean that you will have a stroke of MI immediately, just that you are at increased risk.  Women who have high antiphosphate lipid antibodies have an increase risk of spontaneous abortions, vascular problems etc.
I hope I help you alittle.

Sincerely,

I also have four leisons on my Brain,one within the mid parietal gray/white junction, another adjacent to the left head of the caudate nucleus, ad the third within the left insula and the fourth within the right insular cortex. I also have a enlarged liver, hyperdense area on my spleen, top normal pancreatic head, and a small solid nodule on my thyroid...I have many pin point red dots on my arms and chest...some fade when pressed on others don't. I have a very painful right hip and numerous bone pain in different areas, this has been going on since my Total Hysterectomy in 94. there is some numbness on my right side of my face tingleing on my head and I bruise easily..Most days I don't feel well...there was an episode where I had to go to the emergency room for severe neck spasms...and also in the begining of all this in 94 my neck was very stiff. My neck still gets stiff but not for as long as it did..Does any of this have to do with the high anti-phospholid?....if not could you try and give me an idea of what is going on with me...My Drs. are confused and call me a hard case. My rheumy Dx me with Fms.. Could this be Ms, Lupus, Vasculitis or Lyme?
sorry about he double post...I am new to this. also wanted to tell you I have a gallbladder that has a 15% ejection My surgeon wants to take it out on the 28th of Sept..With every thing else going on with me i am afraid surgery will make me worse..he thinks I have to much scare tissue for the laproscope..Should I be concerned?
Dear Christine:

If your gall bladder is not functioning properly and you have symtpoms that you cannot tolerate, then you need the surgery.  You might try and if your overweight, to loose the weight.  I think that the FMG is not the correct diagnosis, but again without examining you I cannot give you an accurate diagnosis.  Since you have changes on your MRI, I suggest that you seek another opinion about possibilities.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Christine,
If you are still reading this page, please contact me.  I have several of the same symptoms as you, and now I have had a headache for 3 weeks, my balance and coordination are way off.  I can't remember things.  I am not me any more, if you can understand that.  I have had high anticardiolipens for 7 years, with other symptoms, including headaches.  Recently (responding to the increased headaches) I have had 2 MRIs that show brain lesions.  My Neurosurgeon promised me that he would help me and then forgot about me.  I have been so distressed.  I have a great rheumatologist who has been helping me.  Please email me!  I need answers if not help!
***@****
thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
I am aged 55 and have: antibodies to cardiolipin at 12 GPL U/ml (<6); C-reactive protein  minimally elevated to 10 mg/L (<5); lymphopenia due to reduction in all T and B lymphocytes; peri-ventricular white matter lesions; elevated cholesterol & triglycerides ( a recent change - the levels always used to be in the "protection probable" range); Behcet's syndrome; a history of 2 episodes of sudden cyanosis requiring oxygen; a history of sleep apnoea (over 100 'events' in one night when monitored at a sleep clinic - but not now occurring).
Childhood history of pericarditis and pleural effusions, with enlarged heart (x3) - but now presumably normal size - ECG  shows long QT interval (I have a tendency to sudden sensation as if my heart loses rhythm and I'm going to collapse - which fortunately passes).

In spite of all this I feel and look well!  My question is, is it likely to be safe for me to fly?  I am trying to decide whether or not to embark on a flight from London England to New Zealand - 2 flights of about 12 hours duration each to get there and then the same to get back 2 weeks later.  Although it would be nice to go, the trip is not a "must do" trip and I only want to undertake it if it seems a safe bet. I wonder about the risk of thrombosis?  

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.  

Dear Janet:

I air plane flight should be okay.  The cabin is pressurized so there shouldn't be any problems with oxygen content etc.  However, make sure you drink plenty of fluids as the air in airplanes is extremely dry (humidity-wise).

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I always have extremley cold hands, to the point where they are purplish/blue when I'm not wearing gloves.  What could this be a result of?
Dear Tom:

Without doing an examination, history, etc it is impossible to tell you.  It could arise from poor circulation due to a heart problem, collagen vascular disease, kidney problem, neuropathy, stroke, medications, autoimmune disorder, rheumatoid arthritis, amyloidosis, mitochondrial disease, multiple systemic atrophy, infection, ......

CCF Neuro MD
Is his heridity?
Dear Kathy McGovern:

It is something that is passed on by your genes.  An example is eye color, blood type etc.

CCF Neuro MD
I have tested positive for anticardiolipin antibodies on two tests in the past year.  Fourteen years ago and 10 years ago, respectively, I had a retinal vein occlusion and a retinal artery occlusion.  I was on aspirin therapy for five years without a retinal event, but am now on Coumadin (5mg/day--INR between 2.5 and 3.5) because of the positive anticardiolipin findings. I'm wondering whether I can safely switch back to aspirin.
Dear Ken:

I can't answer your question, you'll have to talk to your physician who is ordering the coumadin.

CCF Neuro MD
What are anticardiolipin antibodies and how do they affect pseudotumor cerebri?
Dear Ms. Hamilton:

Anticardiolipin antibodies are made to negatively charaged lipids found in the mitochondria inner membrane.  They are seen after viral infections, stroke, etc.  They are also found in some without any insult.  We are not sure of the reason.  There is no known correlation between pseudotumor cerebri and anticardiolipin antibodies that I know of.

CCF Neuro MD
thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease