Neurology Community

benfotiamine and alpha lipoic acid for neuropathic pain

I, a 65 year old man, suffer from neuropathic pain caused by physical trauma--> the same area having peripheral nerves was stretched repeatedly over a number of weeks and then the peripheral nerves broke. Symptoms are: worse than moderate to severe burning physical pain; quick, very brief but severe and repeating electric shock physical pain; worse than moderate to severe aching physical pain; tingling and numbness. The nerves broke 3 years ago. Is it too late to try OTC benfotiamine and alpha lipoic acid to see if the injured or damaged nerves might be helped by these substances? [I'm taking gabapentin and amitriptyline for the neuropathic pain. I can't take NSAIDs since these cause me stomach ulcers. Ice helps me.]
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. If there has been an actual nerve injury 3 years back it is unlikely to heal at this stage, tough this should not be responsible for pain. Other possibilities that may need to be considered include recent nerve injury, nerve impingement/ pressure, neuropathies, neuromas etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!