Neurology Community
45k Members

benign spine tumor

i had a benign tumor between c2/c3 removed in 1980. my symptoms prior to surgery was right side weakness (especially r leg). my surgical report says that tiny rootlets were imbedded in the tumor and consequently removed when the tumor was delivered. six months after surgery i was walking normal and continued with normal function until 2003 when i started having gait problems primarily evidenced by a hyperextended r knee. a small extension at first but continued to worsen until i needed a cane and eventually a walker. i have visited Mayo and Duke University as well as local medical doctors (primarily neurologists and orthopedics). i am void of any disease which could lead to my condition. strength was one theory and i spent hours in the gym and with home exercise. i must say that my strength improved but it had no affect on my hyperextension.  what can i do to reduce or eliminate the hyperextension?

Tom
Hello Dear,
Hyperextension  of knee refers to an injury of knee  forcing it to extend  beyond its normal  straightened position. The lower leg is forced excessively forward in relation to the upper leg.It may lead to  ligament injury.
Current research demonstrates that the natural history of untreated complete injuries of the ACL consists of progression of symptomatic instability to recurrent injuries. These injuries damage the menisci and the articular cartilage, eventually leading to osteoarthritis and osteoarthrosis. The primary goals in treatment of ACL rupture are restoration of function in the short term and prevention of long-term pathologic changes in the knee
Conservative treatment consisting of exercises and stretching is recommended.Surgery can be considered if your physician suggests.

Refer: http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic3.htm#section~Treatment)
Best