Neurology Community

body burning

I have just started getting this burning sensation all over my body, at night, it starts in my back and travels to all my extremities, even lips and tongue.  I've noticed that others are having the same problem.  Is there a diagnosis?  Cure?  Thanks

This discussion is related to extreme burning sensation all over my body-I am a 29 yr. old Asian female!.

Have you tried measuring your body temperature? High fever can cause burning sensation all over the body. Fever will indicate if you are suffering from infection of some kind. Another condition is hyperthyroidism which causes heat intolerance and excessive sweating. I would suggest you schedule an appointment with your doctor as soon as possible as you may need to undergo some blood tests.
Hi Jonis

Hi yes I am having the same problem its not a fever, its like sunburn I get it on my forearm and leg.

I was told to try tea tree in my bath (if you try it just a few drops, and don't put it neat on your skin must be diluted.

I was told by my chiropractor,its the nerve endings, I'm going to see the neuro Friday hopefully they can shred some light.

If you find out anything do let me no.

Best Regards

Terrie
I also experienced the same and found that I was suffering from Hyperthyroide and I was traed for that after two yers time I am experiencing the same again but thiroyd function is normal no doctor could find a medicne for me yet

My sister has had this burning skin for over a year now and has had every test known to man with no resolution.  She has had MRI's on every part of her body and every blood test, gone to psychiatrists, neurologists, internists, naturpaths, orthos, etc.  Hers began with a strain to her back, then went on Ambien for sleeping, then moved to Lorazapam.  When she got off lorazapam cold turkey, she had major stresses to her body, including nightmares, shaking, cold and hot, etc.  Now she is on nothing, but the pain continues.  No temperature increases, however, just the sensation of skin burning.  And, now she has been getting stiff joints and pain like fibromyalgia.  She says it's not anxiety, which is what some of the doctors are pointing to.  As she is single and really has no stress, other than a busy job.  She did have a breast biopsy about the same time she had the back strain, but that was benign.  
Any further suggestions or findings out there?
I have had very similar symtoms for the past two months also have been to the ER 8 times and have had test gallore done. My symtoms started with a pain in my back n legs then it turned into numbness in the feet hands n face, then I had muscle twitching, then the sensitivity to heat. I feel it when I take a hot shower, I feel pins and needles in my hands and feet. But when I'm in the sun my skin feels like it's on fire. I have muscle stiffness and constant pain, trouble walking. I have recently seen a neurologist out of the country because I have tried everything to get a diagnosis and she suggested I may have something rare called Issac's syndrome. I am currently getting more test done to confirm or deny it. But if there's anyone out there with any answers please help!

I have been having this burning , stinging sensations for oVer 4 months , all over my body , every day and worse at night  and have been to several different  kinds of doctors , trying to find some relief  , but no success  one of the doctors seem to think  it is  anxiety /stress and i have been taking lorazapam  for stress  and ambien for sleep. they  tried me on different kinds of depression pills but the just made me cry all the time and feel like i really was depressed .i realize i  am stressed but who wouldnt be after 4 months of this burning . i also realize that  being in the sun makes it worse , the burning . never goes away , Is there any one out there who can help me.  i will try  an MRI next . Jean L.
You need to consult a neurologist to know why you are having these burning sensations. If you have localised burning then it might be due to irritation of heat receptors in your skin or irritation of nerve endings or due to allergy. Whole body burning is due to some problem in the area of the brain. Stress also may cause this. Try to go for an MRI and neurologist consultation. Take care!
Hi Guys

I was diagnosed Christmas eve with fibromylia by my Rhum I have an appointment with him next monday and I am hoping he can tell me what he thinks it is the above mentioned it was the nerve ending I think this is correct.

I have had this sunburnt feeling on my forearm fo over a year I thought it was the steriods that I was on but im clear of them now so it was not them.

Tree tree did not work for me.

As with the above I also have had every test and all come back normal.

Its very frustrating and people just don't understand I was cleared from having ms with of course I was delighted but when people say what wrong with you they look at you confused and you have to then explain where as if I said I had ms people understand.

I will let you know if I find out anything next week,Im sorry that this is happening to you as i know how horrid it is.
I HAVE THE SAME SUNBURN SKIN FEELING STARTING IN MY EXTREME LOWER BACK JUST TO THE LEFT OF MY SPINE AND IT GOES AROUND TO MY THIGH AND ABOUT MID DOWN. ONLY BURNS WHEN TOUCHED EVEN BY CLOTHING. WHEN SITTING THOUGHT I CAN STILL FEEL A FUNNY FEELING BUT NOT REALLY A BURNING FEELING BUT LIKE I JUST GOT HIT THERE AND ITS A BAD BRUISE. I HAVE THIS FOR OVER A WEEK NOW AND HAVE NOT SEEN ANYONE BECAUSE IT JUST SOUNDS CRAZY.
I also have a feeling of burning skin to the touch. And it also feels as though I hit my leg lower down and it somehow affected the upper part of my thigh. I do know that if you have Genital Herpes, and you accidentally hit a part of your body, usually the legs, or hip area, that this can actually cause a genital herpes outbreak. I have genital herpes, but have only had 2 or 3 outbreaks in my life. I am in my mid 60s now. I first experienced herpes when I was in my early 20s. One time I did bang myself on something, and sure enough it generated this sensitive burning skin sensation and I got a Herpes outbreak. But for the past few weeks, I have had this sensitive skin on my upper thigh, and indeed, I also could see where I had apparently banged my leg, nearer to the knee. The knee area has healed and doesn't hurt anymore, but the sensitive skin as not gone away. And, I do not have a genital herpes outbreak right now. So I wonder if the virus is still in my body, but it is not strong enough to give me an outbreak anywhere other than on my skin, near where I hit myself. Just a thought. I don't think doctors know anything.They will tell you that you are depressed just to get you out of their office.R
I have a similar sensation which started about 6 mths ago. It starts with my ears-they turn bright red and burn then it continues to my face, extremities back and sometimes torso. It itches and burns and feels and looks like you have a bad sunburn. I am not hot and I am not sweating. This has lasted anywhere from 1/2 hr to 2hrs and does not have a pattern. It woke me up at 4am last night! The only thing I can do is cold compresses in groin, under arms, back of neck etc to cool the burning. Just had my blood work done and all is perfect! No sugar, no liver, no urine issues. I am not on any meds, no pain of any kind, have not lost weight (no hyperthyroidism). I am 51yr old female-not heavy either????Dr's look at me like I'm nuts. Anybody else experiencing this??
I remember taking my sis to a doctor then two hospitals. Turns out the stinging and burning of fireants(this is how she described the symptom) was dehydration after alcohol consumption. An easy fix for her. would be nice if this info solved all your pains...
I had a this burning sensation years ago, and it got so bad I couldn't even stand to have a sheet touch my skin.  What the Dr. found with me was that all the folic acid in my system was depleted.  He put me on folic acid, vitamin B and within 3 days 90% of the burning had stopped.  It took about a year to completely clear up.  He figured out I could not tolerate artificial sweetners and sulfa drugs;.  It was so bad the first year I couldn't even wear shoes with rubber soles.
Hey, all of you out there with burning sensations.... read this and then have your B 12 checked.
  I have had this burning sensation for a year. It goes over my entire body and feels like the worse sunburn ever with the skin so tender it hurts to touch it. Like some of you, I've had all kinds of tests with everything being normal except a simple blood test. I think just maybe my dr. has finally found the cause. He checked my B12 level and it is very low so I have been reading up on that. One of the symptoms of a B 12 deficiency is a burning sensation due to nerve damage. If the deficiency goes for a long time, the damage is irreversible. I started B 12 shots last week and am praying this is the cure I am looking for. I truly hope this info will help all of you also.
I was really scared last nite when all of a sudden my skin started burning on the front of my thigh. to me i describe it as being burned by boiling water, it lasted about an hr. i rolled up my pant leg to see what was going on. My leg looked and felt normal on the outside, but under the skin i felt like i was burning up. i put lotion on. and it helped take alot of the pain away but it hurt to put it on and was really really sensitive to touch. it happened once a long time ago and didnt last long, so i didnt think much of it. but last nite it lasted awhile and was really intense. so i wondered how serious this was and am glad to know that I'm not going crazy like it was all in my head.
I am female and nearly 60.
For about the last 5 years about 1:00am every night am I awoken burning within my body from head to toe so badly my skin is bright red all over.  I try to find anything to cool myself down - walking on cold floors - standing naked in a draught, drinking iced water but nothing works this way to reduce the heat.
But I have discovered if I eat starchy foods which include: potato, rice, bread, biscuits, noodles, pork (fed on corn), hoisin sauce, bananas, oranges, almonds, sugary foods, coffee, wine (sugar), chocolate and a host of other things I'm just asking to be purged.  I have been tested for every disease and have a very clean bill of health.  I am not a diabetic and I look quite young in the face.  
So my own diagnosis by elimination is: As I have aged I do not have enough acid in my stomach to digest acidy/starchy foods.  So my body is poisoned with undigested rotting food causing heat/inflamation and arthritic pain.
My remedy is to take 1/2 teaspoon of ordinary baking soda in water and if the pain is bad, a couple of panadol and an hour later life is bliss. But do I learn from this - oh no -  I still eat the offending foods knowing full well what the consequences will be.  
There is plenty of food I can eat though, most veges, steak, lamb, organic chicken, all fruits excepting bananas, pineapple and oranges.  
My Grandmother lived on baking soda after 60 too and she lived to 91, so I deduced from this that BS won't harm me - here's hoping.  Jay
hi, my daughter is experiencing a burning sensation to her face, it started yesterday morning and is getting worse, she hasnt used anything different to what she usually does. to try and ease, we have used cold water, something from the freezer, and sudocream, nothing is easing it.what hould i do to help her? should i take her to A&E ?? she is 13 years old, please help
Hi everyone. I just wanted to post a few things that were helpful to me. I used to have burning that would travel around my body. It turns out that I was taking too much of the vitamin Niacin (in fortified cereal, drinks and my multivitamin.) Since I have mostly eliminated it, the burning is gone.

When I eliminated the Niacin I also did two other things, stop eating processed foods (MSG particularly) and started taking a magnesium supplement. I'm not sure if it will help you but you can always try it. I felt much better in general.

I have been having this burning sensation for the last 6 months. It hits randomly. No triggers have been found. I feel as if I am burning from the inside-out. I itch, get sick to my stomach and can feel my heart beating in my ears. This was only happening two to three times a month but had "spell" Thurs. and again this morning at 3:45. This last at least an hour at a time. My doctor is out of town til middle of next week. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
sounds like it might be elevated blood pressure issues.  i would borrow a blood pressure monitor from someone and check your blood pressure before the episodes and during the episodes..........you might have fluctuating blood pressure levels out of control,.
I TOO HAVE HAD THIS BURNING SENSATION. IT STARTED ONE SATURDAY MORNING AND IT FELT LIKE SOMEONE SMEARED ICEY HOT ALL OVER MY BODY. THE OTHER THING I NOTICE IS WHEN IT GETS REALLY INTENSE I GET SEVERE MUSCLE WEAKNESS AND ALMOST FEEL LIKE I AM HAVING A SEIZURE. I GET TREMORS TOO AT CERTAIN TIMES. I NOTICE THE FLUCTUATION IN TEMPERATURES ALSO TRIGGER OFF THIS BURNING. IT JUST NEVER SEEMS TO GO AWAY. I HAVE BEEN TO MANY DOCTORS AND HAVE HAD MUCH TESTING. ONE SAID HE THINKS I HAVE AN ANXIETY DISORDER. OTHER DOCTORS HAVE NO CLUE. I SURE HOPE ONE DAY I CAN FIND OUT WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.
Hello-I realize you wrote this many years ago...My mom has the same things,and was diagnosed with possible Diencephalic seizures,was hospitalized,given high doses of seizure meds,and they only made her worse...She is still so very sick and struggling to find answers with all kinds of specialists. She burns all over and shakes,seizure like activity,and can't eat.She has lost so much weight.We hope to find out anwers,soon! Have you found out any answers?
wow I totally know what all of you are going through. I have been experiencing the feeling of having a severe sunburn on my legs ,arms and hands and face . Its horrible. I cant stand it. It hurts for anything to touch my skin. I have Ra and Fibromyalgia and possibly lupus. Its been a long road and I get very frustrated. I am on lots of meds now but the burning is fairly new. It started just before Christmas 2010. I really hope they figure it out! Good luck to all of you!
I also have burning skin. I have always said that it feels like a really bad sunburn. It was just on the inside of one knee, but now is pretty much all over. It even hurts on the bottoms of my feet. Can hardly stand to have my pj's touch me. I have become pretty housebound due to the pain and the fact that I cannot wear anything but jammies. I was wondering if I had Fibromyalgia?? Any input would be great. It hurts soooo bad just to sit here. Have it on my bottom as well.
I sent you a message.

achilles2
Never had a surgery before now- and had not dealt with any real pain/problems until after surgery. major burning skin. scared

I have been having extreme burning of my skin and a feeling of clamy hands and underarms ever since I had a botched labiaplasty where I was amputated to the skin on both minora-then cut into both majora and my C was completely exposed (no tissue left anywhere). I was supposed to only have a little of the minor reduced. The reconstructive doctor said it is the worst he has seen and I'm basically butchered. I'm 40 have not had relations for many years- so this wasn't for aesthetics. My dr knew I had trouble wiht pain/hygeine. he got the surgery approved by insurance but said he had to do it. he didn't know how;-(

Yes, I'm stressed about it. But the nerve issue has been there since day 3 when I didn't even know I was 'messed up' physically, so I know it is not simply nerves.

Initially, I had sharp electricity pains in my pelvis down my right leg and arm then it would feel like I had goosebumps of energy. My leg felt weak.

But now, I have extreme pain like my skin is burning all over. Again I get a feeling of sweat-which I never had before- by end of day- b.o.  I took a warm sitz bath last night- and after that is when I really felt the burning all over my skin.

I'm very scared at this point that the surgery may have triggered something in me. I had no idea that burning skin was even 'out there'. Until I myself felt this- then I looked it up last night and found you all.  I had the surgery dec 22 and have continued to have problems.

Please tell me if you can relate-or if there is any insight. I had already come to terms withmy physical look- but am REALLY WORRIED now that I am having the burning skin everywhere.

help