Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
44.9k Members

body spasms

My wife is having body spasms. They started in December of 2007 with one, then another in late January, In March, they became ferquent, 30 in a 4 day period. She was hospitalized and nothing came out of the testing. She has been tested for epilepsy and nothing has shown up. She is currently taking 1500 ml of Depikote which seemed to work for the last few months, but she has been having a relapse in the last few days. It starts in her left leg and goes throughout her body until her whole body is jerking from her head to her feet. She is out (unconsious) of it during this time. this will last from 15 seconds to 3 minutes. Recovery, being able to talk and function, from this takes anywhere for seconds to 15 minutes depending on the seriousness of the episode. The spasms have been less serious since they first started 6 months ago, but they have become frequent, averaging 2 a day for the last 4 days.I am looking for any ideas in which to turn to find help.
1 Responses
Hi there.

From what you have described, I believe she may have a jacksonian progression- type of seizure where the jerking or spasm will start locally and progresses to become more generalized.  These may really not show much on the EEG or other tests for seizures but what is important is that these can be controlled with medications directed for seizures.  If the symptoms are becoming more frequent, I suggest that you inform your doctor about these so that the medications can be adjusted or additional meds can be prescribed to control the events.  You may also suggest other possible causes such as spinal cord compression problems.

Regards and God bless.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease