Neurology Community

body spasms

My wife is having body spasms. They started in December of 2007 with one, then another in late January, In March, they became ferquent, 30 in a 4 day period. She was hospitalized and nothing came out of the testing. She has been tested for epilepsy and nothing has shown up. She is currently taking 1500 ml of Depikote which seemed to work for the last few months, but she has been having a relapse in the last few days. It starts in her left leg and goes throughout her body until her whole body is jerking from her head to her feet. She is out (unconsious) of it during this time. this will last from 15 seconds to 3 minutes. Recovery, being able to talk and function, from this takes anywhere for seconds to 15 minutes depending on the seriousness of the episode. The spasms have been less serious since they first started 6 months ago, but they have become frequent, averaging 2 a day for the last 4 days.I am looking for any ideas in which to turn to find help.
Hi there.

From what you have described, I believe she may have a jacksonian progression- type of seizure where the jerking or spasm will start locally and progresses to become more generalized.  These may really not show much on the EEG or other tests for seizures but what is important is that these can be controlled with medications directed for seizures.  If the symptoms are becoming more frequent, I suggest that you inform your doctor about these so that the medications can be adjusted or additional meds can be prescribed to control the events.  You may also suggest other possible causes such as spinal cord compression problems.

Regards and God bless.