Neurology Community
45k Members

brain damage

Hi, my husband had a cocaine induced stroke. It happened in Chile. Since I have not yet gone there, I have been told by doctors that he has sustained irreparable damage to the entire left side of the brain.His right side of the body is paralyzed. He underwent an operation to remove a big blod clot in his left side of the brain. It happened on January 31st, 2008.Since then he has been plagued by infections. I have been told he is awake  and making some progress, but not much. What can I expect in terms of improvement? He can't come back to the US because he is an American resident but  doesn't qualify for social security benefits due to the fact that he worked on his own and did not pay social security nor get a health plan. I would really appreciate your advice, thanks.
Hello.

I am sorry for your husbands unfortunate event. It is not easy to predict what will happen. The treating doctors who monitor his progression the hospital are in the best position to tell you a reasonable estimate of his future recovery.

From the experience of other people, it can be said that he have to live with the paralysis life long. It looks like the clot was really big. His left brain is affected. He may lose his ability to plan and organize things. He may have some memory issues, too.

You will have to ensure he receives regular physical therapy.

Wish you good luck.

Regards