Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

brain damage

Hi, my husband had a cocaine induced stroke. It happened in Chile. Since I have not yet gone there, I have been told by doctors that he has sustained irreparable damage to the entire left side of the brain.His right side of the body is paralyzed. He underwent an operation to remove a big blod clot in his left side of the brain. It happened on January 31st, 2008.Since then he has been plagued by infections. I have been told he is awake  and making some progress, but not much. What can I expect in terms of improvement? He can't come back to the US because he is an American resident but  doesn't qualify for social security benefits due to the fact that he worked on his own and did not pay social security nor get a health plan. I would really appreciate your advice, thanks.
1 Responses
368886 tn?1466238884
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello.

I am sorry for your husbands unfortunate event. It is not easy to predict what will happen. The treating doctors who monitor his progression the hospital are in the best position to tell you a reasonable estimate of his future recovery.

From the experience of other people, it can be said that he have to live with the paralysis life long. It looks like the clot was really big. His left brain is affected. He may lose his ability to plan and organize things. He may have some memory issues, too.

You will have to ensure he receives regular physical therapy.

Wish you good luck.

Regards
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease