A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
44.9k Members

burning (and icy at the same time!) sensation of big toe

Hi,

About 3 weeks ago I bumped my left knee into the corner of the bed and was in excrutiating pain for about a minute or so. The skin broke on the knee cap. I put ice on it for 20 minutes and kept the leg elevated during this time. The pain was localized to the area of the broken skin. A few days later, a scab formed where the skin was broken, and although the area still hurt when pressed, I had no problems walking, jogging or swimming.

Five days after the injury though, my left knee cap began to hurt. There was even a tingling sensation from above the knee cap down to the shin (left lateral). My GP diagnosed it as tendonitis and bursitis of the quadriceps tendon. He prescribed voltaren and told me to avoid jogging, walking extensively, walking up the stairs or slopes.

But now, I have this burning sensation in my left big toe which also feels icy cold at more or less the same time. However, when I touch my left and right big toes they are about the same warmth. Is this symptom a part of tendonitis and bursitis or are there arm bells ringing?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

3 Responses
1093617 tn?1279305602
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Usually, such toe symptoms are common in injury, circulatory problems, with certain medications, excessive cold temperature, whilst you are relaxed or resting, during or after exercise, or after sitting in an uncomfortable position. Most of the times, they are not related to any underlying disorder but needs checking out with a doctor to assess that your leg circulation and nerve supply are working appropriately. Meanwhile, I would suggest eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, vitamin E & zinc supplement, drink at least eight glasses of water in a day and avoid smoking. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the insights.
One question though, why the zinc supplements? What do they do?
1093617 tn?1279305602
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi, Thank you for appreciation.  Zinc is used as co enzyme and plays important role in various cell metabolisms, protein synthesis and insulin production, and improves immune system. Hope this helps.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease