Neurology Community

burning (and icy at the same time!) sensation of big toe

About 3 weeks ago I bumped my left knee into the corner of the bed and was in excrutiating pain for about a minute or so. The skin broke on the knee cap. I put ice on it for 20 minutes and kept the leg elevated during this time. The pain was localized to the area of the broken skin. A few days later, a scab formed where the skin was broken, and although the area still hurt when pressed, I had no problems walking, jogging or swimming.

Five days after the injury though, my left knee cap began to hurt. There was even a tingling sensation from above the knee cap down to the shin (left lateral). My GP diagnosed it as tendonitis and bursitis of the quadriceps tendon. He prescribed voltaren and told me to avoid jogging, walking extensively, walking up the stairs or slopes.

But now, I have this burning sensation in my left big toe which also feels icy cold at more or less the same time. However, when I touch my left and right big toes they are about the same warmth. Is this symptom a part of tendonitis and bursitis or are there arm bells ringing?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Usually, such toe symptoms are common in injury, circulatory problems, with certain medications, excessive cold temperature, whilst you are relaxed or resting, during or after exercise, or after sitting in an uncomfortable position. Most of the times, they are not related to any underlying disorder but needs checking out with a doctor to assess that your leg circulation and nerve supply are working appropriately. Meanwhile, I would suggest eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables, vitamin E & zinc supplement, drink at least eight glasses of water in a day and avoid smoking. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the insights.
One question though, why the zinc supplements? What do they do?
Hi, Thank you for appreciation.  Zinc is used as co enzyme and plays important role in various cell metabolisms, protein synthesis and insulin production, and improves immune system. Hope this helps.