Avatar universal

burning sensation on my outer calf

I was just wondering if anyone knows what this can be. On the outer side of my right calf I get a feeling of "heat" or a burning sensation. It comes and goes.Although this isnot painful I find it very annoying and am wondering what causes this and can it be a sign of something serious?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
How old are you?Do a blood work and consult your GP as early as possible.It could be due to
1.Common cold
2. Diabetes
3. Leg injury
4. Peripheral neuropathy
5. Sciatica
6. Stroke.
Early diagnosis will help in the treatment of the symptoms.
Dont delay.Meet the doctor at once.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have this same thing, only it's in my left calf...
I mentioned it to a neurologist but he didn't address it - I also had what I think was a TIA stroke, and he is sending me to get a CT scan, but since it's been over three weeks, I don't expect the scan to show anything...

I can't believe you have this too--  have you mentioned it to your doctor?
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I haven't mentioned it to my doctor yet. I have panic disorder and I sometimes I think evertything gets blamed on my anxiety. I aso wake up with pins and needles in my hands but I have had that for years. I always thought it was carpal tunnel but maybe not. I will let my doctor know soon. Waiting to see what happens.I started taking B6 that used to always help with the pins and needles. Why do you think you had a TIA?
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I have had numerous spine issues that have come up in the past few years and have had both cervical and lumbar surgeries.  My primary complaint was a burning pain in the outside of my left thigh, which I would experience after standing or walking for varying amounts of time.  One time in a bookstore, when the pain came, I literally gasped and limped out to my car.....once seated, the pain went away.  Then, the process would start all over again.  I believe it is called Meralgia Paresthetica and usually results from a nerve being compressed.  You may want to try physical therapy with a particular type of therapist.....one that practices "mechanical link".  It might take a bit of searching, because there are so few therapists that practice this method - but it is well worth the search.  Short of that, you may want to get a referral to a neurosurgeon for a consultation.  Personally, I don't think the pain will go away on its own....here's a link for you to look at and see if your situation fits the description:


Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
i am having the exactly samething going on did you ever find out anything
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease