Neurology Community

can aspirin really prevent another stroke

After having a stroke at 51 due to a MTHFR mutation, I have been taking Aspirin, Lipitor and high blood pressure medication. I also take B12 and Folic Acid suppllements. It's been two years since I have had any problems. The only problem is that my father had four strokes. Could I be in trouble.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Usually, aspirin therapy is recommended for stroke prevention as long as the benefits outweigh the risks. However, side effects of this should be considered and asked with the treating doctor. Another stroke prevention strategy should be take low-fat diet, limit alcohol, quit smoking, exercise regularly and get your blood pressure monitored every years, especially if high blood pressure history is present in your family. Hope this helps.