Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

can i concevie? diagnised myasthenia gravis

i am a 25 year old female from india. have been in the us for the last 6 months.i was diagnosed of throid gravis at the age of 18 consequently diagnosed of myasthenis gravis . after which i have been on medications of prednesolone 20 mg tabs which have been tapering now on 10 mg predneslonoe tablets and pyridostigmine tablets 180 mg for the last 7 years. now i have been married for the last 6 months, i plan on pregnecy in the next 2 years will i have complications?? can i conceive?? would these medications affect pregnancy. can i be on any alternative medications?
1 Responses
368886 tn?1466235284
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Aashka,

There's good news for you!

There has been a lot of research conducted on this subject. And the results have been encouraging.

According to a study done by Ferrero et al, in Italy, "...MG can be well managed during pregnancy with relatively safe and effective therapies....".

Please read the abstract of their article -

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18505362?ordinalpos=5&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

There have been some cases where the Myasthenia Gravis has worsened in mothers. But usually it can be managed.

According to another study by Cheng et al, Caesarian section reduces complications, though, many feel the Caesarian section should only be used for any obstetrical problems.

Please read this article, too.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17912986?ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

I hope you find this helpful.

All the best.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease