Neurology Forum

c.angioma or glioma? reading a MRI

Thanks for providing this great Forum!
  Hopefully someone may be able to help answer a few questions for me.
  How is it possible for a Nuerologist to differenciate between a glioma and a cavernous angioma in a "generalized" MRI scan? In my case, two Doctors read the same scan - a full head scan following a first-time seizure - and both came up with different conclusion.
  What are the characteristics of both types of conditions on a scan, and what is the likelyhood of two different opinions being made?
  Thanks for your time!  
Dear B:
Sorry to hear about your seizures.  Most of the time one should be able to tell you whether the MRI shows a tumor or cavernous angioma.  A cavernous angioma will have a popcorn like appearance (due to bleeding at different times)if bleeding had occurred.  Which, in your case would be likely since you had cortex irriatation causing a seizure.  There should be enhancing areas from the bleeding, hemisiderin.  Most gliomas will not bleed unless they are aggressive.  Most of the time, gliomas or tumors cause seizures due to mass effects on the cortex.  Now, a recent bleed by a tumor might give the appearance that one might call a cavernous angioma.  Most of the time, one should be able to tell the differenct.  I hope that this helps alittle.
Sincerely,
CCF Neuro MD

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease