Neurology Community
45k Members

cold and hot sensation in brain

hi my mother is suffering from a problem ,i need your help,she is complain of burning and sometimes cold sensation in her brain and its mainly happend when she is in depration ,she is talking some tablets prescribed by sycologist from very long time about 7-8 years,i wana know what is the possible cause of this problem and what are the side affects of taking tablets form so long.For which test we should go.
please help
Hello.

The burning and cold sensations are very much a part of her depression.

Depression is a state of mind where the sufferer needs to ventilate his / her feelings. It is a common knowledge that in people suffering from depression, a "somatization" phenomenon is observed. It is different from the somatization disorder. The somatization I am referring to is the transformation of the inner feelings and emotions into bodily (somatic) aches and pains.

This happens due to cultural differences. The western and the European cultures are more open. In the eastern countries like India, females generally are not known to speak out their views. A lot of pent up emotions come out this way.

Now you know the reason behind your mother's head symptoms. To her, they are real and need treatment. She will need a good antidepressant which is known to act on somatic symptoms. But more importantly, she needs a counseling therapy or a brief psychotherapy.

About the side effects, I can not specifically say any side effects since I do not know which medicines she is taking.  

Regards