Neurology Community
45k Members

cold tingley numb feeling in upper back under right shoulderblade.

I know i should post under neurology (i have no credidcard ) i have been getting this numb tingle on my right side about 2 or 3 inches from my spine, and under the blade. I have searched threw symptoms of others with back prob. but I haven't found anyone with my symptoms of a numb mid or upper back.I have had this tingle for about 2 years, almost every day. I also sleep on my right side with my arm up under my pillow to cradle my neck as i have severe neck arthritis from a car accident 6 or 7 years ago. i don't know if that is a factor in my numbness. i also notice that it goes numb more often on the days i do wear my bra. i would appreciate any advice or if you also have had a numb mid back, any suggestions.
i have that also, for years.  mine is a tingle, itchy sensation that kinda burns right below my shoulder blade.  it goes and comes. never really worried about it.
I have the same thing on the same side and everything.
At frist I kept thinking it was a pimple under the skin getting ready to come out. But then just tried to get used to it. It's been about a year not and I still can't get used to it though.
I drives me crazy! But you know what I too sleep with my arm up under my pillow. So maybe that has something to do with it.
And that would be a hard habit to break for me since I've been sleeping like that as long as I can remember.
Have you ever had a spinal block or an epidural? I used to get the exact same tingly feeling and so did my girlfriend. It wasn't until we began discussing our histories did our epidurals come up. I was in a car accident 4 yrs. ago and began seeing a chiropractor. I still go at least once a month for maintenance and I no longer get that tingly numb feeling.
Freaky. I did a Google search tonight for the symptoms "Tingle" "Back" and I really didn't expect to find others with the same problem.

I have the same tingling sensation under my shoulder blade about 2-3 inches from my spine. It's been a constant for about 3 months. It almost feels like my shirt is rubbing against my skin but then it feels like that when I don't have a shirt on.

I too sleep with my arm under my pillow, under my head. I have slept that way since I was born. I sometimes do it with my other arm but it's almost always with the arm where I feel the tingling. I've never been in an accident nor have I ever had an epideral. I had mild scoliosis when I was a child but that has long since gone.

If anyone hears anything about this from an M.D. please post to this discussion. I am planning on going to the doctor once my insurance kicks in.
Wow, i could almost write 'ditto' to everyone's comments to date.  Numb patch (quite large, and a bit tingly) between spine and shoulder blade... I also sleep with my arm under the pillow (normally on my stomach) - looks like we almost have a direct cause and effect.  In any case, i'm visiting the physio tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be able to add some further comments.
Guess what. Across the Atlantic (Ireland) and simular symotons. Tingly,numb feeling on a patch under blade. Sometime it feels like a weight is stuck to it. No real pain butting feeling of a weight dragging on my skin. I might have to just live with it.  John.  P.S.  It can also feel like a sting from nettles or at least a few hours after the sting happens.
I have been having a tingling in my upper back right under my shoulder blades for about 2 months now and the tingling usually goes up to my neck. And lately a shooting pain will go down my right leg and I'm not sure what is going on but I do have a doctors appointment next week to get this figured out.
I have the same sensation over a 3 inch patch next to my right shoulder blade.  This feels like carpert burn, almost like the skin is crawling and tingling.  I've had it intermittently for the last 4 or so years and almost always affects me whilst at work using my keyboard.  I sleep mainly on my left side though and very ocassionally on the right.  It's more an annoyance than anything else, always try to rub it away, but it feels like it's under the skin rather than an irritation on top.  Very strange sensation.  If anyone gets a diagnosis, please post it.
Oh men! I can't believe it! Writing from Hungary a 28-year-old lady! I have the same sypthoms for 2 months now, really annoying! Never had a accident, but I do sleep on my stomach with my arm under my pillow!! left leg near my body... Doctors have no clue! Its really annoying, the numb starts when I bend front, like dishwashing, sweeping the floor etc, or simply sitting on a chair! Prevents me from doing everything! Hate it! If anyone found a solution, please post it here!! Thanks in advance!
Wishing you all a healthy holiday season!
I have the same thing same place.  I can remember the first time I felt it I thought it was a long back hair catching on my sweater, I was 4years old.  Then I got pregnant and had the patches all over.  Everyday I woke up it was in a different spot, around my waist, top of my head.  What is weird is alot of those places are how they diagnose fibromyalgia.  But seeing as I don't have health insurance no doctor wants to talk to me unless I am dying. I sleep w/ my arm under my pillow too, doesn't everyone?
I have the same thing right on my shoulder,I get looks like a rash on it,little bumps.But it feels numb tingely,I noticed it when I started sitting at my computer all the time.I hate it,I even woke up at night almost in tears cuz it would bother me so bad!!It itched a little too,its hard to explain.