Neurology Community
45k Members

confusion, panic, dizziness, eyes seem weird

I really need help.  I'm 21 yrs old and when i was studying abroad i just felt gradually and gradually worse.  Feelings of confusion, panic, easily startled....and just feeling in a fog.  I was also very sick with something later on and ever since i feel 20x worse.    Now my eyes feel like they are crossed and when i talk to someone and look at them, it seems like my eyes get more and more blurry to where i have to look away.  Everything looks dull and it seems like my eyes can't focus to objects correctly.  Besides that, i'm always feeling confused and feelings of being in a fog...like everything around me is going on around me while im not there...occasionally i will get a twitch as well. I can't concentrate on anything nor think straight at all... I had a test that said i had mono but a long time ago(7months ago), but all my blood tests/sugar levels are fine according to doc's.  Now they are treating for depression and im on wellbutrin.  im pretty much at the point where i'm becoming suicidal b/c i can't take this anymore.  I used to love to run, read, and do so many things and i can't do anything anymore.  i've been like this since march and if i remain like this for much longer i cant take it anymore.....i have job interviews and all sorts of things right now.  Somebody help
I am sorry for how you are feeling. I know there are days you just want to feel like your old self again.Somehow I cant even remember anymore what that feels like. I am having alot of visual problems as well. I have always worn glasses and my left eye has always been worse than my right but in the last week my eyes have gotten really bad. I look at something than look away yet still see the image I Was just looking at. I feel like everything is kind of in a haze. My ability to focus on things is just really poor. I also get dizzy If I move my head too fast.. and feel nauseaous, almost like  motion sickness. I feel like Im high without the euphoria . It all feels kind of dream like. When I am at work and Im in a serious conversation its real fun trying to pay attention . When my eyes wont focus , I just look away and look back and try to refocus. I know this is all scary and the dr's dont help when they think its all in your head. But, often these conditions or episodes will come and go, so I Know it may seem completely dreadful but remember only in the darkest night can you see the stars. There is a light at the end of the tunnel even if we cant focus on it lol.. feel better.. and I hope you find an answer, as we all are waiting on answers it seems... be well.. Donna
Could be neurological Lyme disease. See www.LymeNet.org and here's a symptoms list for you. I have it and had a LOT of eye problems, sensitivity to light, etc.  Very nasty bacteria once it gets into the central nervous system. You have to find a Lyme specialist, though. Doctors don't know about it or its co-infections, believe me.

Musculoskeletal System
Joint pain or swelling or tenderness
Stiffness of joints, back, neck
Muscle pain or cramps
Bone pain

Neurological System
Tremors or unexplained shaking (especially at night)
Burning or stabbing sensations in the body
Weakness or partial paralysis/stroke-like symptoms
Pressure in the head
Numbness in body, tingling, pinpricks
Poor balance, dizziness, difficulty walking
Increased motion sickness
Lightheadedness, wooziness
Sudden jerking of fingers or entire limbs
Pain in spinal column

General Well-being
Unexplained weight gain, loss
Extreme fatigue
Swollen glands
Unexplained fevers (high or low grade)
Continual infections (sinus, kidney, eye, etc.)
Symptoms seem to change, come and go
Pain migrates (moves) to different body parts
Early on, experienced a "flu-like" illness, after which you have not since felt well.  (If it was mild, you may not even recall this.)

Eyes/Vision
Double, blurry or dim vision
Increased floating spots
Pain in/behind eyes, or swelling around eyes
Over sensitivity to light
Flashing lights
Optic neuritis

Ears/Hearing
Decreased hearing in one or both ears
Buzzing or clicking noises in ears
Pain in ears or sound sensitivity
Ringing in one or both ears
Pressure or feeling of fullness in ears

Digestive and Excretory Systems
Diarrhea, irritable bowel
Constipation
Irritable bladder (trouble starting, stopping)
Frequent urination that is not normal
Upset stomach (nausea or pain)

Respiratory and Circulatory Systems
Shortness of breath, cough
Chest pain or rib soreness
Night sweats or unexplained chills
Heart palpitations or extra beats
Heart blockage

Psychological well-being
Mood swings, irritability, rage
Unusual depression
Disorientation (getting or feeling lost)
Feeling as if you are losing your mind
Overemotional reactions, crying easily
Too much sleep, or insomnia
Difficulty falling or staying asleep

Mental Capability
Memory loss (short or long term)
Confusion, difficulty in thinking, brain fog
Difficulty with concentration or reading
Going to the wrong place
Speech difficulty (slurred or slow)
Stammering speech
Forgetting how to perform simple tasks

Head, Face, Neck
Unexplained hair loss
Headaches, mild or severe
Twitching of facial or other muscles
Facial paralysis (Bell's Palsy)
Tingling of nose, cheek or face
Stiff or painful neck or creaking
Jaw pain or stiffness
TMJ
I had similar symptoms.  I found I was defficient in many B vitamins.  Also I had an intolerance for Gluten.  It seems any tramatic experience, such as an accident or being sick can trigger the body to develop a Gluten intolerance.  
Try laying off ALL Wheat, Gluten and anything with Sugar or artificial sugar for about two weeks.  

See if you begin to feel better ( You will actually feel worse for the first week).  The body will go through withdrawls.  Then after two weeks most of the toxins will get out of your systema and you should feel better.  Also try taking some extra minerals and B vitamins.

Hope this helps..
pgonk, I know exactly how you feel. I could have written that!! I am a 23 year old female and I am on and off moving from country to country. My vision is exactly the way you describe it. More than that I have horrible headaches, nausea, fatique. But the feeling that I get dizzy when I try to focus my eyes is always there, 24/7/ I have been like this for 4 months now. I am desperate (waiting for an MRI soon) as I can barerly work and then I come home and can barerly get out of bed.
If you found anything to help please tell me about it.
so far haven't found anything out...been to eye doctors and according to them everything is fine except possibly refractory problem, but im using the new contacts they gave me and no difference......don't have money to go to neuro nor would i want to tell my parents about it....best of luck! hope you feel better! Lemme me how your mri goes, hopefully it will help you see what is causing all your suffering or give you somethhing
i don't think you have lyme disease. Go to a neurologist.
Check out any antibiotics you may have been on the past year, in the quinolone family. Avelox, cipro and others. type in toxicity quinolone antibiotics.  New info out with some of your symptoms. My daughter had some of your symptoms months after taking.
I have face pressure forehead, behind nose and a sharp pressure from my forehead down to my top front teeth I get confused, foggy vision sometimes my fingers and eyes are very slow to move or react I get so dizzy i have to lay down. I then get fevers or a cold sweet become pale and go into horrible anxiety and panic attacks was at the ER three times in two months then finally admitted by my doctor for overnight test. first test said acute sinusitis's but doctor said he thinks it is a psychological disorder prescribed Zoloft xanax any ideas please help this is driving me crazy little hope.
i am a 22 yr old female and for the last two weeks i have been experiecing headaches,nausea,confusion,lightheadednessand pain in my lower back.. i went to the hospital and they just checked my stomach ,gave me a naracotic and said me how but i think its something more seroious
I've been feeling the exact same way..blurry and heavy eyes, dizziness, confusion, difficulty focusing eyes, and feeling panicky, strange headaches..the docs think i'm crazy..i took levaquin towards the end of last year and am wondering if that could be causing it..i'm so confused..and dont know what to do..:(
ive been experiencing symptoms for years (probably since age 16, im 23 now). symptoms such as joint pain (specially knees, hips, and elbows, severe headaches, stiffness at times, shooting pains(usually in limbs), dizziness/lightheadedness, motion sickeness(recently), difficulty walking at times, extreme fatigue, trouble falling asleep, pain behind eyes, oversensitivity to light, diarrhea, irritable bowel, had about 6 ER trips last year for sever abdominal pain n nausea where i couldnt hold n e thing down(after they seen me so many times they became very irritated with me cuz they said nothing was wrong with me and they acted like i just wanted pain medicine b/c after they gave me the pain n nausea med it would go away until the next time), sharp shest pain occasionally, overemotional, mood swings, irritability, rage, feel as though im losing my mind, depression, forgetfullness, difficulty concentrating, jaw pain - realize im clenching my teeth, night sweats n chills, severe back pain, and i also experienced heart palpitations and anxiety attack from age 16-18.  i had given up going to the doctors at one point b/c i felt that they werent going to do anything and they just felt as though i was just some young person that wanted pain meds- thats the way they treated me. i just learned to cope that this was the way that i was and i always had family telling me that you know "i had head aches too when i was younger alot and back aches but i managed to get up everyday and keep trucking" i felt as though everyone thought i was giving excuses and couldnt handle everyday struggles so i started to just withdrawal from everyone and stay to myself. i also felt as though i was trapped inside of a older persons body and no one understood. FINALLY, i went back to the doctors and told her all of my ailments and told her that i wanted to see a specialist b/c i ffelt that i had junior arthritis and that i couldnt take it n e more and id rather die than live like this.  she gave me a foew more blood tests before goin to a specialist just to rule out lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and lyme disease...  blood test came back n i tested + for lymes disease (GO FIGURE)  so i suggest to anyone that if they r having any of the symptoms to request a blood test for lymes, and make sure they do the ELISA test also (there are a few they do) i believe thats the most accurate.  sometimes it can give false readings b/c the antibodies can mimic that of other things (i  believe im saying that right).  and dont give up - it affects everyone differently and the symptoms ccan change and come n go.  even if it does test negative but u have some of the symptoms be persistent and tell the doctor that and maybe go see a specialist b/c regular docs do not have the knowledge about lymes..... maybe even suggest them to put u on an antibiotic trial if it comes back negative. and if after u start taking the antibiotics ur symptoms become worse - GREAT!!! thats a good sign that u do have lymes.... when u have lymes and u start the antibiotics - it gets worse before it gets better.  the spirochette bacteria is a corkscrew shaped bacteria that moves about in a wiggly manner and is inside of ur joints and in cases left untreated affects ur heart and brain. when u take the antibiotics the spriochette bacteria  begins to die off and i like to think of it as they are struggling for life wiggling about crazily and we feel that ( if u can imagine it) - its a disgusting thought!!!   GOODLUCK!!
I have been suffering for over a decade with pressure in head confusion spacey feelings, brain at one time felt as if it were floating head, tired feelings, eye sensitivity from light and air, eyes feel like there crossing from time to time.  Ive had mri, upperskeletol tests, blood work . have tried chiropractor,  talk therapy , psychiatrist (with meds), eating healthier exercise  thinking maybe its a stress related issue, still no clear answers . any suggestions??