Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

dosage of citicholine

My dad who is 81 years old in India is on Citilin 500mg daily. The neurologist prescribed it after he had TIA number of times. He used to get seizures like symptoms and loose his consciousness. He was bedridden and stopped walking completely. Now, he is up on his feet and doing his regular work after regular physiotherapy.
At first, he had trigeminal neuralgia and he was on carbamezapine 150mg twice daily and then 300mg twice daily. I just need to know how long he has to be on Citilin. Is it a safe drug to be used for long time? He also has hypertension and slightly high cholesterol for which he is on Norvasc 5mg & Atenolol 50mg and Atorvastatin 10mg and he is alo on Aspirin 75mg. He also has blood creatinine. Please let me know if he is on right drugs and right dosage? I would be very thankful if you give me an answer ASAP.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
Citilin(CDP Choline) is used in acute stroke and head trauma cases for proper neuronal function as a protection to brain.Usually its given for  not more than 1-3 months.Dose is 500-2000 mg per day.For TIA and stroke with hypertension the drugs which your father is using are right ones with proper doses.Please keep updating for further information.
Regards,
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your immediate reply doctor. My dad has been using Citilin since December 2007. Is it okay to use Citilin beyond 3 months or should it be discontinued? Also, is a tapering dose needed or stopped all of a sudden? Will it affect my dad's condition and will he get the stroke or seizures like attack again after discontinuing this medicine? After December 2007 he has not had any attack so far.
Kindly let me know about this doctor. Once again, thank you very much doctor.
Jayashree
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi Jayashree,
There is no role of Citilin in prevention of stroke or seizure.Although there is no harmful effects on longterm uses but there is no added benefit.Better you should discontinue it and it can be stopped all of sudden,no tapering is required.He did not had any TIA after december 2007 probably he is using aspirin,atorvastatin,atenolol regularly.Please continue these drugs.
Best wishes.
Regards,
Helpful - 0
Hello Doctor,

I am extremely sorry to bother you. I totally forgot to tell you that he is on Phenytoin 100mg once daily. Can this be continued and taken for a long period of time?
Thank you doctor once again for your immediate reply.
Jayashree
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Dear Jayashree,
Phenytoin is used to prevent seizures.It can be continued for long term.Decision regarding continuation of phenytoin depends on MRI finding,initial indication for which it was started and seizure frequency.Consult the neurologist who has started this,he can decide wether to contiue or to stop it.
Regards,
Dr Jagdish
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease