Neurology Community
45k Members

encephalitis/meningitis relapse

I had viral encephalitis seven years ago (although no virus was traced). I was in hospital for 2 weeks and it took 2 years to recover. For last three weeks many of the symptoms have returned - weak neck, headpain, facial pins and needles/numbness, constant nausea, ear sensitivity and sensations.  i am terrified - the thought of having to go through all of htis again is too much. I saw a neurologist last week who said that he thought it was meningal irritation triggered by a virus. That put my mind at rest and i had two good days. However i've felt terrible today and yesterday. I wonder if any of you kind people have any advice or experience that might help me. Thank you so much, Fiona
recurrent encephalitis/meningitis could be on-going neuro Lyme disease.
Hi Fiona,

I am recovering from an encep. virus myself, so they say.  I have been since Nov. 7th of 2006.  It has been a long haul and I don't really even know if that is what happened either as no L. Puncture was done at hospital day I went to ER with baaaad migraine and neuro is only going on my description of what happened to me then.  It has been a painful and long recovery.  I am starting to have more better days than bad ones....but if I over-do it in any way (which is live the life like I am used to in the past) then I pay for it dearly.  I am at a loss.  I can't see myself living like an 80 yr old woman like this for the rest of my life.  I am frustrated as I know this can be a long recovery.  I just thought I would tell you that you are not alone.  I hope one day I can get back to my normal self.  Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for that info Patsy. There is some overlap in symptoms, but also quite a few distinguishing features. But it's another thing to add to my neurotic checklist!!!
I sympathize with you, and i think it helps to know that recovery is supposed to be long and difficult - they say about 2 years to get back to normal. Like you, I am a very active person (go running every day and cycling) and also have a v demanding job. At the moment I'm incapable of doing anything other than obsessing on my symptoms. I tried to go into work yesterday, lasted about 3 hours, and then felt sick and faint. I am now going to go back on medication for chronic pain (low dose anti-depressant) whcih certainly helped me when i was originally recovering. Thinking of you. Fiona
I have a neurotic checklist as well!!  LOL!
Hi Fiona,

What pain meds (low anti-D) did you go on before.  I am considering going on something.  My doc is wanting to put me on Amitripyline.  I guess it is the "old" "earlier" version of a SSRI but will make a person sleepy.  Maybe I need the sleepiness to help me sleep or make me go to bed when I am tired.  Anyhow I thought I'd give it a try.  Hope you are well.