Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

encephalitis/meningitis relapse

I had viral encephalitis seven years ago (although no virus was traced). I was in hospital for 2 weeks and it took 2 years to recover. For last three weeks many of the symptoms have returned - weak neck, headpain, facial pins and needles/numbness, constant nausea, ear sensitivity and sensations.  i am terrified - the thought of having to go through all of htis again is too much. I saw a neurologist last week who said that he thought it was meningal irritation triggered by a virus. That put my mind at rest and i had two good days. However i've felt terrible today and yesterday. I wonder if any of you kind people have any advice or experience that might help me. Thank you so much, Fiona
15 Responses
recurrent encephalitis/meningitis could be on-going neuro Lyme disease.
Hi Fiona,

I am recovering from an encep. virus myself, so they say.  I have been since Nov. 7th of 2006.  It has been a long haul and I don't really even know if that is what happened either as no L. Puncture was done at hospital day I went to ER with baaaad migraine and neuro is only going on my description of what happened to me then.  It has been a painful and long recovery.  I am starting to have more better days than bad ones....but if I over-do it in any way (which is live the life like I am used to in the past) then I pay for it dearly.  I am at a loss.  I can't see myself living like an 80 yr old woman like this for the rest of my life.  I am frustrated as I know this can be a long recovery.  I just thought I would tell you that you are not alone.  I hope one day I can get back to my normal self.  Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Thanks for that info Patsy. There is some overlap in symptoms, but also quite a few distinguishing features. But it's another thing to add to my neurotic checklist!!!
I sympathize with you, and i think it helps to know that recovery is supposed to be long and difficult - they say about 2 years to get back to normal. Like you, I am a very active person (go running every day and cycling) and also have a v demanding job. At the moment I'm incapable of doing anything other than obsessing on my symptoms. I tried to go into work yesterday, lasted about 3 hours, and then felt sick and faint. I am now going to go back on medication for chronic pain (low dose anti-depressant) whcih certainly helped me when i was originally recovering. Thinking of you. Fiona
I have a neurotic checklist as well!!  LOL!
Hi Fiona,

What pain meds (low anti-D) did you go on before.  I am considering going on something.  My doc is wanting to put me on Amitripyline.  I guess it is the "old" "earlier" version of a SSRI but will make a person sleepy.  Maybe I need the sleepiness to help me sleep or make me go to bed when I am tired.  Anyhow I thought I'd give it a try.  Hope you are well.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease