A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

headache/dizzy/hypotensive

I need some help!

I started my menstrual period on May 30 and it was heavy (like it always is) the next day, I started getting very lightheaded and then got a horrible headache when I would stand up. I also got really nauseous (sp) and my vision was blurry.

I started drinking a lot of Gatorade and I went to the dr on June 4th. He said I was hypotensive. He said my blood pressure dropped 10 points from laying to sitting and another 10 points from sitting to standing and he thought it was because of my heavy period and said that it should go away when the period stops. He did a CBC to check for anemia

The next morning, I woke up and hadn't even lifted my head off the pillow and had the worst pain in my head, like it was going to explode. This went off/on all day.

The doctor called yesterday and said the blood work was fine. When I told him about the pain and dizziness still going on, he told me to go see a neurologist.

Does this make sense to anyone?  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I don't know how much longer I can deal with this.

Thank you!
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. Your doctor has excluded anemia as the cause for hypotension and severe headaches and dizziness. First and foremost you need to control any dehydration causes like inadequate intake and excessive losses, which if not made up can cause dizziness, headaches, postural hypotension and nausea. Low heart rate, diabetes need to be checked for since you have postural hypotension. Consult a neurologist to investigate for primary causes of headaches like cluster, tension headaches and migraines. An MRI spine and head to check for cervical spondylosis and any intracranial neoplasm is warranted. Wishing you all the best with the diagnosis. Management would depend on the same. Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease