Neurology Community
45k Members
Avatar universal

i think i have GAD

Hi i am 17 years old and i think i have GAD but my parents don't want to take me to the doctor because they think i just need to "destress my life". I have many of the symptoms associated with GAD and just odd physical symtpoms for example: I have horrible muscle tension which i associate with growing pains i had as a younger child, I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, I worry about everything and can't control my worrying, i have diarrhea when i get nervous, I have to pee all the time and i am always thirsty, i am always really dizzy, i constantly feel like throwing up from being nervous, my eye or arm twitches, i tremble and have a serious fainting phobia of needles, i get angry very easily, and i am always thinking about something that worries me which is pretty much everything. A lot of these symptoms can just be associated with an angsty teenager so i think that's what most people assume when i mention these symptoms but i think i have a serious problem. i was just wondering your opinion.
2 Responses
Avatar universal

How long have you been experiencing these symptoms? Do you feelings of depression? Any history of substance abuse?

It is good that you recognize symptoms associated with a possible generalized anxiety disorder. Most people do not seem to realize that they have a problem until it is too late. However, at this point in time, and without a proper psychiatric evaluation, this cannot be ascertained.

It is unfortunate that your parents do not want to take you to a physician for proper evaluation. Even symptoms associated with an "angsty" teenager should never be taken for granted and should be offered counseling, especially if family support is insufficient.

Can I assume that you are still in school? If so, you should try to talk a counselor in your school for the meantime. Maybe the counselor can refer you a psychiatrist or he/she can be the ones to talk to your parents to convince them that you really do need help.

In the meantime, you should follow your parents' advice and "de-stress" your life by trying to engage in activities that would help you relax and talking with your friends.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Avatar universal
Hi Trilogy,
What is your name? How old are you?
Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is characterized by excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry about everyday things.
This excessive worry often interferes with daily functioning.
I think you should read about DSM criteria’s for GAD which explains most of the symptoms you have.
Alternatively, I think you should get evaluated for Vitamin deficiency, Diabetic status and any chronic diseases like Kidney disease.
Hope this helps you.
Keep me informed about your disease progression.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease