Neurology Forum

left temporal lobe epilepsy

Hello my name is Elisha,
I am 16 and have resently been haveing some medical problems.  When i was about 6 i was told i had left temporal lobe epilepsy.  They were well controlled with tegritol.  Around the sixth grade I was not showing any seizures on eegs so they took me of medication and i did fine.  I am now 16 and It is happening all over again I can't hear what any one is saying if they are not looking at me.  I will be watching tv and i won't hear anything for like two seconds and have to back up the show to under stand what just happened.  I know what is going on around me but i feel like an idiot because i always am asking people like my boss to repet stuff.  Do you think that this is the epilepsy comming back or a prosesing problem.  I f it  is the epilepsy can you explain what brings it on and why it would come back after like 4 or 5 years?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Trouble with memory and attention in younger people such as yourself are uncommon, but there are causes (other than epilepsy). One that comes to mind is low thyroid function, what is called hypothyroidism. Low thyroid function causes fatigue, weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, and memory/concentration problems in addition to several other symptoms. Another possibility is anemia, which can cause severe fatigue and thinking trouble. In addition, other causes include certain vitamin deficiencies. These can all be diagnosed with simple blood tests. Another group of problems that can cause thinking problems and fatigue are psychiatric. This is not at all to say you are crazy or making anything up. Clinical (medical) depression and anxiety can sometimes be expressed not in sad or depressed feelings but rather in thinking troubles and fatigue. Treatment improves this. Finally, certain people with attention/memory troubles can have learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder (ADD). Many people think of this as a childhood disorder but it can start in childhood and not be diagnosed into later in life.

However, since you have a history of epilepsy. This should be evaluated. I would suggest that you be evaluated by your neurologist and have an EEG performed.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease