leg heaviness

Almost a year ago my husband, 69, was hospitalized for about a week with a severe case of Salmonella poisoning; resulting in dehydration and kidney failure. He recovered and came home.  Ever since he has had heaviness in his legs which cause him to walk with much smaller steps and slower gait, and with the feeling
that his legs will give out. (He has fallen a few times since.)
     The heaviness is his only symptom and at times has difficulty even moving them.  It does not match Reiters.  
He has had no tests done yet.  Could you tell me what you think it is and is it a neurologist he should go to?
     Thank you in advance for your reply.
The symptoms of leg heaviness may be due to developing Arthritis. Some patients who are infected with Salmonella go on to develop pains in their joints, irritation of the eyes, and painful urination. This is called Reiter's syndrome. It can last for months or years, and can lead to chronic arthritis which is difficult to treat. Antibiotic treatment does not make a difference in whether or not the person later develops arthritis. Please go for MRI of the legs and consult a rheumatologist and neurologist for the diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!