Neurology Community
45k Members

many health issues and undiagnosed new symptoms

Hello all!!!
I'm going to start with a list of my diagnosed health problems and then move on to the more recent issues, just in case they may be related.
I have: multiple herniated/bulging discs... Cervical, thoracic and lumbar
             Cervical osteoarthritis & straightening of the cervical spine with
             Bone spurs pressing on a nerve
             Degenerative discs in multiple areas
             from cervical to lumbar
             Scoliosis
             Lumbar herniated disc is pressing
             On sciatica
             Fibromyalgia
             Most recently diagnosed with chiari 1
On May 8th I went to work (I'm a cook at a nursing home) feeling "off" and weak. As I started gathering my supplies to make the dinner meal, I started to notice slight twitching in my abdominal area and neck/head. A half hour later I was having full out jerking those areas and needed some help walking. About 2 weeks prior to this I was experiencing an electrical sensation throughout my body with weakness, nerve pain in my hips, legs, neck, and arms. I was also getting very bad hand shaking that would come and go. To make a long story short, after a trip to the ER, 2 trips to my pain management doctor, and 2 different neurologists (1st one was stumped & second one was a movement specialist), a brain MRI ( which only showed the chiari malformation), I was diagnosed with myoclonic jerks... Cause unknown. They thought it might be due to an increase in Lyrica (was on 150 mgs a day for 1 & 1/2 yes... Increased to 200 mg a day for a month & 1/2 before everything started). I am currently down to 100 mg a day. The " jerks" gradually went away. I returned to work this past Wednesday and worked Thursday. Thursday night I started to feel weakness in my lower back, hips and legs. I thought it was due to not working for almost 3 weeks then returning. Friday morning I felt more weakness (at work) in the same area but now also in my arms and hands. When this weakness occurs I also feel clumsy and drop things... A lot!!! My balance is also off. Needless to say I ended up being sent home due to the twitching and "jerks" returning. I can't work while this is happening because I could hurt myself further. I can't get in to see the neurologist until Tuesday. I was feeling as normal as I possibly can when I returned to work and just can't understand why it has come back!!! The MRI was the only test performed and because I got better they left it as the increase in Lyrica. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. I also deal with migraine that have also gotten worse. Lastly, I had a cervical nerve block about a month & 1/2 before the first attack started. Thank you.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. A cervical nerve block can cause weakness in the arm muscles and would not affect your lower back and legs. Muscle weakness can be true type as seen in muscular dystrophy, inflammatory myopathy, or neuro-muscular myopathy (myasthenia gravis). It can also be a perceived muscular weakness as seen in chronic fatigue syndrome, electrolyte imbalance, hypothyroidism, low iron, diabetes and dehydration. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, lupus, and Lymes can also cause muscle weakness. So please discuss all these possibilities with your doctor.
Tremors or jerks are often associated with drugs, alcohol, smoking, lack of sleep, poor sleep patterns, stress and fatigue. They can be seen in peripheral neuropathies of diabetes, hyper and hypothyroidism, lupus, and Lyme’s. Multiple sclerosis, Parkinsonism, TIAs or transient ischemic attacks or mini strokes, hypoglycemia, low vitamin B12 or low vitamin D, disorders of calcium metabolism, hyperparathyroidism etc. and certain epilepsies too could be the cause. It can be benign fasciculation syndrome if all causes are ruled out. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for responding. I want my doctors to explore and rule out everything that is a possible diagnosis. I do not want them guessing ... This is my health and I am not the only one depending on them to figure it out. The neurologist that I am seeing has only ran one test... The brain MRI. She wanted to stop there and give me medicine to treat the myoclonus instead of finding the cause of it. I had to suggest an EEG and she acted like she didn't want to order it. So after that test, I will be moving on to another doctor. The ER ran blood tests and said everything was good. I only know that they ran a toxicology test... But other than that I don't know what other things they tested for. I do plan on pushing until it is figured out.
I just wanted to update you on my EEG and ask you for opinion. when the tech had me hyperventilate, it threw me into full body spasms just after 30 seconds in. I was twitching when I went in for the test but that made me jerk around really bad. Does that mean I am have seizures? If so, how can they tell if it is epileptic or non-epileptic?
Thank you.