Neurology Community
45k Members

mini stroke?

My 22 year old nephew is a college student. He and his culinary arts professor were shopping for the days menu this afternoon when he started to experience tingling and numbness in his right fingers and hand, then traveled up his arm into the right side of his face. After that he was having a hard time getting his words out, kind of slurring them or having a hard time to talk. A few minutes later it went away. After that he started to get a headache and it has continued into the evening where he has gone to bed and is sleeping now. The numbness and tingling, troubled speech have disappeared  but his headache has not. Could this be the signs of a mini stroke? Please help!

No, my nephew did not go to the hospital which I freaked out about because I just got off the phone with my mother about the whole situation.  People failed to inform me til' now. Had I known, I would have insisted he went to the ER.

Thank you
Thank you for your question. Most likely possibility in his case could be a post effect of brain stroke and this occurs when the blood supply to the brain is disturbed due to a clot and person may experience severe headache, confusion, loss of vision & facial muscles weakness. Although the stroke probability in his case is less, I would recommend you to see a neurologist who can evaluate the details of your case and could better determine the insight of your situation. If your neurologist identifies any “red flags” he or she would like to refer you to a neurosurgeon much sooner. Hope this helps.